celeron or mobile celeron?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Yeuk, Jul 7, 2003.

  1. Yeuk

    Yeuk Guest

    I am looking to buy a new laptop and have narrowed it down to 2...

    Dell Inspiron 1100
    Celeron 2.2Ghz (not Mobile)
    512mb ram
    DVD/CDRW
    ....and the rest
    $2052

    Toshiba Satellite 1130
    Mobile Celeron 1.8Ghz
    256mb ram
    DVD
    ....and the rest
    $1800

    Note that these are Australian prices...

    I am leaning towards the Dell at the moment... I think its better value.
    Which do you think is the better system? Is the desktop celeron processor
    better than the mobile? Performance is more important to me than battery
    life and fan noise, etc... will I notice much of a difference between the
    two? If I get the Toshiba I am going to add more ram (to 512).

    Thanx for your help

    Yeuk, Jul 7, 2003

  2. Yeuk

    Me Guest

    as long as you leave it on a desk and not use it like a laptop the non
    mobile will be ok. My wife has the inspiron 1100 and its too hot for her
    lap. Now remember the rest of a laptop is bad on performance so a laptop
    with a non mobile cpu will still be slower than a desktop with the same cpu.

    Me, Jul 7, 2003

  3. Yeuk

    Yeuk Guest

    but performance wise, will I be able to tell the difference between them? i
    won't be using it on my lap so heat shouldn't be a problem.
    I have read bad things about the mobile p4... how does the desktop celeron
    stack up against these?
    will a celeron 2.2 beat say... a mobile p4 2.0?

    i am also thinking about the compaq Nx9000, which has a mobile p4 and is
    similarly speced but slightly more expensive

    Yeuk, Jul 7, 2003
  4. Yeuk

    Deathwalker Guest

    --
    Ian Lincoln Independent I.T Consultant
    Nope. Fsb is slower less onchip cache other optimisations missing.

    I would suggest a machine with an athlon xp+ processor with quantispeed.
    Save money for same speed or go faster. Got all the speedstep powersaving
    measure so don't worry. The biggest problems with laptop performance is the
    hd. Laptop hard disks typically only rotate at 4200rpm instead of 5400 and
    7200 of desktop systems. I would investigate that further if i were you.

    Deathwalker, Jul 7, 2003