    settings in the windows sound file location and changed the to 5.1 yet
    nothing. Thanks for any help.

    Win Xp Pro SP2

    Antioch, Mar 9, 2005

  2. Antioch

    Lenny Guest

    Problem is I cannot get any sound from the center speaker ever

    If you switch the plugs around so one of the side speakers become center
    speaker and other way around, you can check if there's a problem with the
    plug, and/or speakers. Try that! :)

    Lenny, Mar 9, 2005

  3. Antioch

    ediab Guest

    creative labs is a terrible company to deal with. for one they never admit
    it's their product which is deficient, and secondly their english
    translators are unqualified to say the least. I would ditch SB and go with
    Realtek among others.

    ediab, Mar 9, 2005
  4. Antioch

    Antioch Guest

    Thanks Lenny, I already tried that and the speaker does work, but that still
    only makes it a 4.1. To ediab: If I can't resolve this seemingly easy
    technical issue I will "ditch" SB for sure. Take Care.

    Antioch, Mar 9, 2005
  5. Antioch

    Lenny Guest

    Your issue is a most vexing one. I would recommend you:

    A - check Creative's speaker applet AND the standard windows control panel
    multimedia applet and make SURE 5.1 speakers are enabled. There is an option
    in Creative's applet to synch the setting there with the windows multimedia
    applet to make sure they both are set the same way, check if that's been
    disabled somehow.

    B - if this won't solve your problem or you've already done this a million
    times and torn out your hair in frustration, I suggest you uninstall the
    drivers using the control panel's add/remove programs thingy and then run
    creative's driver cleaner. It should be available from their website -
    well-hidden, no doubt. Then re-install the latest available driver set and
    see if things have improved. It might also be time for a harddrive spring
    cleaning , AKA, windows format and re-install...

    Good luck.

    Lenny, Mar 10, 2005
  6. You'll only ge sound from the centre speaker if you turn on CMSS for
    stereo sources. This can be done from Playcentre, in the player view
    when you expand the panel on the right.

    You should also get a centre channel if you play back a DVD (with 5.1
    sound ) with the player set to SPDIF output and the Live's AC-3 decoder
    turned on. Alternatively you could set yer DVD player to 6 speaker mode.

    Games which support DirectSound 3D or DS3D with EAX will give you a
    centre channel (unless its based on the Quake 2 Engine (like the
    original Half-Life), in which case the centre will be dead. More modern
    DS3D games will give you a centre channel.

    Playing back MP3s won't give you centre channel unless you turn on CMSS.

    Sharanga Dayananda, Mar 10, 2005