    Am I missing something.

    Also, if I go to HP, there are no Centrinos, either.

    Thanks

    Bruce, Oct 27, 2004

  2. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    [posted and mailed]

    I had to hunt around to find this.

    Rather than calling out a Centrino on the selling pages, Dell now says
    that Centrino mobility includes the integration of a Pentium M processor,
    an Intel 855 chipset, and an Intel Pro/Wireless card.

    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/featured_centrino?
    c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

    Bruce, Oct 27, 2004
  4. Bruce

    Tom Scales Guest

    Centrino isn't a processor. It's a marketing label. It includes the use of
    the Pentium M processor with the Intel 802.11B wireless card.

    Yes, 802.11B.

    So, if you have the faster 802.11G or even a combo card --- EVEN if it is
    Intel.

    It isn't a Centrino.

    Smooth move Intel.

    Tom Scales, Oct 27, 2004
  5. Bruce

    WSZsr Guest

    WSZsr, Oct 27, 2004
  6. Bruce

    Tom Scales Guest

    I stand corrected. I wonder when they updated the definition. It's been
    pretty recently, as they were not allowing companies that supported g to use
    the label.

    It is still a marketing label

    Tom Scales, Oct 27, 2004
  7. Bruce

    tonys Guest

    my d500 with centrino...the wireless is the worst thing i ever seen...i
    currently have it disabled and using a dlink wireless bus card.

    I have tried all the new drivers and everything...it will lose the signal
    after 15 minutes and i have reboot the laptop to reconnect.....

    buy a pentium M processor but stay away from centinio....that my
    experience.....

    tony

    tonys, Oct 27, 2004
  8. It's only OK as long as you use the Intel wireless card. If you order with
    the Dell 802.11g card, you don't get the Centrino sticker.

    Eddie Aftandilian, Oct 28, 2004
  9. Bruce

    Tom Scales Guest

    Oh no. No sticker?

    I can tell from all the small Japanese cars with big coffee can mufflers
    that what REALLY makes them fast is lots of stickers.

    Tom Scales, Oct 28, 2004
  10. Bruce

    Greg Guest

    Centrino is Intels way of saying your computer has all it's hardware inside.
    The Pentium M processor and Intels very own wireless card. Otherwise if you
    only get the Pentium M processor and for example the Dell wireless card then
    you won't get the cute little centrino sticker on your laptop.

    Greg, Nov 8, 2004
  11. Bruce

    WSZsr Guest

    And you won't get the extended battery life either. I went with a Dell
    wireless card and my son went with the Intel wireless card. He runs
    significantly longer on the battery than I do. Same model computer.

    WSZsr, Nov 9, 2004