    I already bought a Inspiron 8100 just before they changed to the USB
    2.0 and have been stuck with the slower USB port for a long time.

    SCD

    Guest, Feb 25, 2004

  2. Guest

    Grafton Guest

    Centrino is a certification.

    If the dreaded car analogy is used, it's like a local dealership's 101 point
    certified used-car sales inspection. Only Intel's Centrino sticker carries
    no warranty, implied or otherwise. :)
    Then buy a laptop with an 802.11g card. You'll lose the 'Centrino' sticker,
    but that shouldn't be the concern. (Tail wagging the dog.) You're buying
    a laptop that meets your needs instead of solidifying Intel's marketing
    presence in the wireless mobile computing scene.

    The real concern is mini-PCI versus PC card. You can always swap out
    a PC card for the newest whatever. The downside is the antenna stub
    hanging off the laptop. The mini-PCI cards are much nicer, internal,
    but for some reason, Dell is always kind of obscure about upgrades.

    I'd buy an 802.11g mini-PCI and be done with it. It's been a while since
    I priced a laptop, but this will probably be the TruMobile card Dell offers.
    I dunno. I see this come up in the forums now and then, but I never
    see a solid answer. Upgrading the mini-PCI would be a hassle.

    But you could upgrade the pc card without any trouble at all.

    Grafton, Feb 25, 2004

  3. Guest

    WSZsr Guest

    you do realize that cable or DSL broadband max out at 10 Mbps so the "g"
    will
    not help browse the internet faster?

    WSZsr, Feb 25, 2004
  4. Guest

    Jiz Guest

    yeah, but when I watch a movie off the server, the extra bandwidth would be
    nice.

    Jiz, Feb 26, 2004
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    So if there is a mini-PCI inside the laptop that is "b" and I add a PC
    Card that is a "g" will I be able to shut down the mini-PC inside, do
    you think?

    SCD

    Guest, Feb 26, 2004
  6. Guest

    Tom Scales Guest

    Yeah, they'd co-exist fine, but why? Buy a cheap mini-pci g card and
    replace the b card.

    I just bought an a/b/g mini-pci. $79.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Feb 26, 2004
  7. Guest

    WSZsr Guest

    The mini-PC card that came in my 600M was b/g compatible.

    WSZsr, Feb 26, 2004
  8. Guest

    Tom Scales Guest

    Then it's not (technically) a Centrino laptop!

    Tom Scales, Feb 26, 2004
  9. Guest

    WSZsr Guest

    Cirrect. Good point.

    WSZsr, Feb 26, 2004
  10. Guest

    goop Guest

    <--snip -->

    upgrading the mini-pci is simple. it constitutes unscrewing one screw,
    replacing the mini-pci, and putting the screw back. seriously, it's
    approximately that simple.

    goop, Feb 26, 2004
  11. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Well, THAT is good news - I figured they were configured on a board or
    such.

    SCD

    Guest, Feb 27, 2004