    Anyone here using the VNF3-250 and if so what do you think of it?

    Thanks,
    Ed

    Ed, Aug 10, 2004

  2. Ed

    Ugly Mugly Guest

    For an inexpensive motherboard, it is not too shabby. :eek:)
    On the downside, Chaintech is slow posting their updated BIOS upgrades.

    To get the updates you need you have to email them and ask them, and this
    can take anywhere from a couple of days, to two weeks. The latest BIOS they
    have posted for the VNF3-250 is the original BIOS, and it is buggy. It shows
    the temp to be around 10C, which of course is silly. I have the latest BIOS
    and posted it to http://files.aoaforums.com/index.php?dir=217

    Good luck.

    Ugly Mugly

    Ugly Mugly, Aug 10, 2004

  3. Ed

    Ed Guest

    Is it only the temps that are off or is the board buggy in general?
    I could live with stupid temps. ;p

    Thanks,
    Ed

    Ed, Aug 10, 2004
  4. Ed

    Ed Guest

    Have you tried running SpeedFan? I see they added support for the
    NF3-250, I'm using it on an Asus A7N8X(NF2 Ultra 400).

    Thanks,
    Ed

    Ed, Aug 10, 2004
  5. Ed

    Ugly Mugly Guest

    The board is acutally very good. It is the temps, and the lack of support
    for booting to the ZIP100 drive. Both of these issues are fixed with the
    July 29, 2004 BIOS release.

    It won an award too.
    http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/ChaintechNews_show.asp?NewsSNo=69

    Ugly Mugly

    Ugly Mugly, Aug 10, 2004
  6. Ed

    Ed Guest

    No zip drives here, so that's good! ;p

    Anandtech is pretty respectable, oh well I should have one in a couple
    days, :). I let you know how it goes. Thanks for the feedback, much
    appreciated!
    Ed

    Ed, Aug 10, 2004
  7. Ed

    Ugly Mugly Guest

    You're welcome. :eek:)

    Ugly Mugly, Aug 10, 2004
  8. Ed

    Ed Guest

    I got the mobo/CPU a day early! :)

    So far no problems at all, but I don't see the setting in the BIOS to
    turn on Cool n Quite. I installed the AMD64 driver and set Power Mng. to
    Minimal in hopes the bios has CnQ on by default but I guess not, MHz and
    vcore never change.

    Stock HS/Fan: 3068~3125 RPM
    Room: 22C
    Case: 30C
    cpu idle: 34C~35C
    cpu load: 43C~45C

    Ed
    --
    Antec SX-1040BII/400W
    Chaintech VNF3-250

    Ed, Aug 12, 2004
  9. Ed

    Ugly Mugly Guest

    I wrote Chaintech about this awhile back, and they told me that Cool n Quiet
    wasn't possible with the VNF3-250 motherboard. However, Windows XP 64bit
    Extended version 1184 and later, install without a hitch. Some people had to
    turn on cool n quiet just to install this version of Windows. I hope that
    Cool n quiet isn't that important.

    Ugly Mugly, Aug 12, 2004
  10. Ed

    Ed Guest

    Well it is one of the reasons I bought the AMD 64, I guess I should of
    done more research on these boards. Get what you pay for I guess?

    Ed

    Ed, Aug 12, 2004
  11. Ed

    Ugly Mugly Guest

    LOL. Actually, the lack of cool n quiet doesn't bother me. I preferred the
    Nforce3 250 chipset over other chipsets. It was after I had purchased the
    Chaintech VNF3-250 that I found out about Epox motherboard that used the
    Nforce3 250 chipset AND had cool n quiet. But this motherboard is over
    40.00 what I paid for my Chaintech motherboard. And 40.00 is too much to pay
    for a technology I don't care about. I use my computer 12 to 16 hours
    daily, and that is almost constant usage. When I am done, I hit the sleep
    key on my keyboard, and then in the morning, I just hit the space bar, and I
    am right back where I was the day before. :eek:)

    Later,
    U.M.

    Ugly Mugly, Aug 13, 2004
  12. Ed

    Ugly Mugly Guest

    Ed, don't call me ugly for this LOL, but I just discovered that Cool N Quiet
    is available in the latest BIOS for this board. It is dated 7/29/2004 and
    can be found at http://files.aoaforums.com/code.php?file=1878 You may have
    to register first to get this Update.

    Oh, and use awdflash.exe to flash with in a DOS session. (boot from floppy)
    and after you have flashed the BIOS, then in the CMOS go to Power settings,
    and there it is. :eek:)

    Sorry about that. It seems as if the techie I spoke was in error when he
    told me it was impossible to get Cool n Quiet working on this board, and he
    said they never would. Goes to show that the impossible just takes a
    little longer. LOL

    Ugly Mugly, Aug 13, 2004
  13. Ed

    Ed Guest

    OK got it.
    Sounds good!
    No problem, thanks for getting back to me on this, gonna go flash it
    right now, I be back. I hope! ;p

    Ed

    Ed, Aug 13, 2004
  14. Ed

    Ed Guest

    What version of awdflash.exe should I use, and where do I get it?

    Thanks,
    Ed

    Ed, Aug 13, 2004
  15. Ed

    Ugly Mugly Guest

    I just did a search on Google and entered awdflash.exe 2004 to get the
    latest version.

    Ugly Mugly, Aug 13, 2004
  16. Ed

    Ed Guest

    Ed, Aug 13, 2004
  17. Ed

    Ed Guest

    CnQ seems to be working now but CPU temp is showing 51C at idle, ram is
    now running at 333 instead of 400 (I have 3 sticks) and WinXP had a
    fatal error and made me re-boot! So I went and disabled CnQ in bios, and
    it's still working WinXP. ;p Chaintech has a lot of work to do on their
    BIOS!

    Thanks again!
    Ed

    btw, I found the flash on their Korean site, file name af829E.exe.

    Ed, Aug 13, 2004
  18. Ed

    Ed Guest

    Well I didn't like that bios so I tried to flash back to original and
    now all I get is checksum error on boot up, can't even get into the
    BIOS or get floppy to boot. Looks like I'm screwed. :(

    Ed

    Ed, Aug 13, 2004
  19. Ed

    Ugly Mugly Guest

    That is strange, and sad. I hope you can RMA the board. I have flashed,
    reflashed from the original to the BIOS released in April (BETA), May
    (Beta), and July 29 Non-Beta with no problems whatsoever.

    Ugly Mugly, Aug 13, 2004
  20. Ed

    Ed Guest

    Ya strange, on my Soyo mobo I had the same thing happen one time but
    it had option to boot from floppy so I was able to re-flash it no
    problem.

    Going to RMA it and get something else.
    Thanks for your time.
    Ed