    No more BETA BIOS for me!!! hahahaa

    Cheers,
    Ed

    Ed, Aug 13, 2004

  2. Ed

    Ugly Mugly Guest

    Cool. Glad you got it working. :eek:)

    Ugly Mugly, Aug 13, 2004

  3. Ed

    bp Guest

    Is anyone using the raid on this board ?
    I can't get it to load windows for noting when I have it enabled.

    I've done two complete freash installs
    loaded the raid driver by hitting f6 during installation.

    If I use the Serial connectors it locks at the XP boot screen and if I
    use IDE raid it just reboots the machine.

    Beginning to think i got what I paid for ;(

    bp, Aug 13, 2004
  4. Ed

    Ugly Mugly Guest

    BP, what is the date of the BIOS are you using?

    Ugly Mugly, Aug 13, 2004
  5. Ed

    bp Guest

    03/08/2004
    I can't get that alt f2 flash thing to work either.
    It just says please wait.....and wait .......and wait
    How long do I have to wait ;)

    Tried with floppy but got message the it was for nForce chipset only
    ??

    This things pissing me off

    bp, Aug 13, 2004
  6. Ed

    Ugly Mugly Guest

    When you get the message for Nforce only, that is just a warning to others,
    not you.

    Just go ahead and upgrade the BIOS. It should work, as it works on mine.
    And make sure you are using a DOS boot disk with awdflash.exe with nothing
    loaded, no config.sys or autoexec.bat

    http://www.chaintech.com.tw/tw/download/tools/af824g.exe

    I know that it says af824, but that means it is awdflash.exe version 824

    Ugly Mugly, Aug 14, 2004
  7. Ed

    bp Guest

    That's what I thought but it doesn't do anything or offer any ooption
    to continue after the nfore only message.

    Why doesn't the BIOS flash work ? is it broken on yours also ?

    bp, Aug 14, 2004
  8. Ed

    Ed Guest

    I downloaded award flash "af829E.exe" off the chaintech Korean site, and
    flashed mine with that, it displayed my board as Nforce 3.

    i zipped IT up here if needed... http://tinyurl.com/3l7oh

    Ed

    Ed, Aug 14, 2004
  9. Ed

    bp Guest

    I have all that but the thing just hangs both the BIOS AWDFLASH or one
    off a disk.
    I don't get it.
    Guess I should have gone with ASUS like I normally do ;(

    bp, Aug 14, 2004
  10. Ed

    Ugly Mugly Guest

    BP, what are you using for your boot disk? You know that you need to boot
    into DOS with a floppy, and have no config.sys or autoexec.bat, just
    command.com showing (with io.sys and msdos.sys hidden) with awdflash.exe and
    the *.bin file ... that is all that should be on the diskette.

    Also, did you change the jumper on ther motherboard that allows you to flash
    the BIOS? And did you disable the BIOS protection in the CMOS?

    Ugly Mugly, Aug 14, 2004
  11. Ed

    Ugly Mugly Guest

    http://pesona.mmu.edu.my/~panzheng/bootup/bootme.exe

    Use this to make a boot disk, then erase everything but command.com, io.sys,
    and msdos.sys Then copy the *.bin file to that floppy and awdflash.exe. Now
    boot from that floppy, and run awdflash. Enter the name of the *.bin file,
    and when prompted, save the old BIOS file as old.bin ... I actually rename
    the new BIOS file I am going to upgrade to new.bin so it easier for me to
    remember. LOL

    Ugly Mugly, Aug 14, 2004
  12. Ed

    Ugly Mugly Guest

    Ugly Mugly, Aug 14, 2004
  13. Ed

    bp Guest

    been gone a few days sorry for the delay

    Jumper on MB ?? Didn't know there was one, but I did disbale BIOS
    protection in the BIOS

    I made a boot disk from inside windows that hsaid make a bootable
    disk. It has a few other items but no autoexe or config files.

    guess I need to find that jumper

    I sent a help request to chaintech last friday but haven't heard a
    thing from them. ;(

    Guess I need to find a jumper ?

    bp, Aug 16, 2004
  14. Ed

    bp Guest

    I rename it vn that's even easier ;)
    Other than the name thing I pretty much have done the same thing you
    just listed except I used windows to format a bootable disk.

    bp, Aug 16, 2004
  15. Ed

    Ugly Mugly Guest

    Why not just follow the directions I gave? But, you may need to clear the
    CMOS.

    JP1 (CMOS Clear Jumper):

    There is a CMOS RAM on board that has a power

    supply from external battery to keep the data and system

    configuration. To clear the contents of the CMOS, please

    follow the steps below.

    1. Disconnect the system power supply from the power source.

    2. Set the jumper cap at location [2-3] for <5 seconds>, and

    then set it back to the default position.

    3. Connect the system's power and then start the system.

    4. Enter BIOS's CMOS Setup Utility and choose Load

    Optimized Defaults. Type [Y] and then press [Enter] to continue.

    5. Set the system configuration in the Standard CMOS Setup menu.

    But I still say your best bet is to make a DOS disk, and not use ALT-F2. I
    have never used Alt-F2 and used a DOS boot diskette with awdflash.exe and
    have changed my BIOS 8 or 9 times with no problems.

    Ugly Mugly, Aug 16, 2004
  16. Ed

    bp Guest

    HEYYYYY!!!
    Seem like that boot disk made a difference as I was finally able to
    flash the MB.

    now for the bad news
    I still can't figure out how to get the raid working.

    I now have ide channel 0 m/s ide channel 1 m/s and IDE 2 master master
    in BIOS. When I connect my raid drives to the SATA connectors they
    show up on the IDE 2 channels in the BIOS.

    The raid controller now shows up in window as an a347scsi controller.
    I changed the driver to the NV one and now I have the a347scsi and the
    NV raid controller but the thing still won't boot if I have IDE raid
    enable and the drives connected.

    Also which drives do I enable in the BIOS ? Do I enable the SATA
    drives or the IDE drives ?

    Did I mention the manual stinks ?

    bp, Aug 16, 2004
  17. Ed

    bp Guest

    I did do you method the ALT-F2 doesn't work so I've been using a boot
    disk. I've flashed many BIOS's myself with no problems but this one
    was giving me problems. Seems it was the boot disk as I was finally
    able to flash it using a windows Mil. boot disk. go figure.

    But now that I'm flashed to the latest level it's still has problems
    with raid,

    Do you have a raid setup ?

    Also with the new BIOS my memory clock is only 333 instead of 400
    (which it was) and that's the highest it will let me set it.

    bp, Aug 16, 2004
  18. Ed

    Ugly Mugly Guest

    It does. P U ... LOL

    You have to use the drivers from
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_winxp_4.27

    I hope this helps.

    Wayne

    Ugly Mugly, Aug 16, 2004
  19. Ed

    bp Guest

    NO CRAP ! Hell just finding the English sections is a pain LOL
    I think I have but will try again.
    Will let you know ;)

    bp, Aug 16, 2004