    is more common?
    Thanks in advance
    Mel..

    melh100, Jan 7, 2005

  2. melh100

    Fireclown Guest

    Mel,

    I'm surprised that disk management won't let you change it. You would
    have to temporarily change the card reader "C" drive to something else
    (like "X") before you could make the hard disk C.

    If that doesn't work, you could disconnect the card reader and dvd
    burner, start windows and make sure that it reassigns your hard drive as
    C:. Shut it down, reconnect the burner and make sure it comes up as D:,
    then do the same for the card reader.

    I can't think of any good reason why your hard drive couldn't be the
    last drive letter, but it just seems so very wrong.

    Fireclown

    Fireclown, Jan 8, 2005

  3. melh100

    Ken Guest

    Mel,
    I did what Fireclown did. After I reformatted I found the drive letters
    were reversed for my DVD drive and my 2nd HDD so I turned the system off,
    unplugged the DVD drive, restarted, and Windows renamed the 2nd HDD "D" like
    I wanted.

    Ken, Jan 8, 2005
  4. Unfortunately, the only way to change the situation is a complete reinstall.

    Edward J. Neth, Jan 8, 2005
  5. melh100

    Perry Guest

    wrong answer slick.

    How to change a drive letter
    To change an existing drive letter on a drive, on a partition, or on a
    volume, follow these steps: 1. Log on as Administrator or as a member
    of the Administrators group.
    2. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Performance and
    Maintenance.
    3. Click Administrative Tools, double-click Computer Management, and
    then click Disk Management in the left pane.
    4. Right-click the drive, the partition, the logical drive, or the
    volume that you want to assign a drive letter to, and then click
    Change Drive Letter and Paths.
    5. Click Change.
    6. Click Assign the following drive letter if it is not already
    selected, click the drive letter that you want to use, and then click
    OK.
    7. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the drive letter change.
    The drive letter of the drive, the partition, or the volume that you
    specified is changed, and the new drive letter appears in the
    appropriate drive, partition, or volume in the Disk Management tool.

    Perry, Jan 8, 2005
  6. melh100

    PWY Guest

    A very well written and detailed post. However, if you were to try to change
    the letter of the drive that has the operating system on it in this manner,
    you will find that it won't work.

    PWY, Jan 8, 2005
  7. melh100

    YrbkMgr Guest

    When gateway ships these systems today, they ship with a C and D
    partition. The D partition is where the system recovery programs are
    located and the partion is a FAT32 instead of NTFS file system.

    When you reformatted, did you do anything to the D partition? If your
    computer booted at all, it should have booted from C, your hard drive.
    So I'm not sure that what you're reporting is entirely accurate.

    Functionally, when you go into Disk Managment, you should see Disk 0
    with 2 partitions on it. Right clicking on what should be your C
    drive should allow you to change it.

    However, you cannot change it to an existing drive letter. So you have
    to play a game. You rename other drives first, and put them at the
    lower end of the alphabet. For example, if your hard disk *really* is
    drive I, and your removables are C,D,E, and F, then rename them to
    L,M,N. and O. Then you can rename the other drives to C and D. You
    can then rename L,M,N, and O back to a lower letter.

    YrbkMgr, Mar 28, 2005
  8. melh100

    YrbkMgr Guest

    Edward J. Nethwrote:
    Unfortunately, the only way to change the situation is a complete
    reinstall.

    Bullroar. I reformatted my 7200 X and removed XP Home replacing with
    XP Pro. My drives were reordered too. You do NOT need to reformat
    again, nor disconnect any drives. Re-read my post. I've done this on
    the three gateways I bought last month.

    YrbkMgr, Mar 28, 2005