    a black paste underneath the copper. Where do I separate the fan unit
    from the northbridge?

    Urs

    Urs Schuerch, Mar 21, 2010

  2. Urs Schuerch

    Urs Schuerch Guest

    Am 21.03.2010 16:37, schrieb Urs Schuerch:
    I have remonved the fan. Even after careful cleaning the (rattling)
    noise is emitted from the fan. I am considering replacing the unit.

    Urs

    Urs Schuerch, Mar 21, 2010

  3. Urs Schuerch

    Arno Guest

    Rattling is not dirt, it is bearing wear. What happens is that
    the berarings increase their dieameter while the shaft decreases
    iy, hence there is a gap, hence the rattling. Only replacement
    helps.

    BTW, IBM/Lenovo has service manuals online that should explain
    how to remove and attach these fans. You need to find them yourself
    though.

    Arno

    Arno, Mar 22, 2010
  4. Urs Schuerch

    Urs Schuerch Guest

    Am 22.03.2010 04:04, schrieb Arno:
    After looking at the turning fan, I've come to the same conclusion. At
    higher speed, the axis of the fan leaves the center and starts a
    circling movement -> bearing conked out. New fan unit ordered.
    I have looked at this manual. It does not answer the question where to
    separate the fan unit from the northbridge, i.e. whether the alu plate
    is part of it or not. To answer that question: It is not. The black heat
    grease separates the fan unit from the northbridge. The alu plate
    protects the northbridge from getting damaged when the screwdriver is
    used to remove the fan unit.
    Thanks

    Urs

    Urs Schuerch, Mar 22, 2010