change hard drive to IDE 3 using Promise 20276 controller

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Kooner, Apr 27, 2006.

  1. Kooner

    Kooner Guest

    I would like to change my hard drive connection from IDE 1 to IDE 3 on
    my gigabyte GA-8IEXP motherboard. I would also like to utilize the
    ATA133 feature of IDE 3 which uses the Promise 20276 chip. My OS is
    Mandrake 10.0 , (2.6.3.7 kernel).
    I only have the one hard drive and it is hda on IDE 1. I believe IDE 3
    equates to hde. Can I just edit the etc/lilo.conf file and replace hda
    with hde, then plug in my hard drive to IDE 3? Do I need to modify the
    etc/fstab file or any other files?
    As for the ATA 133 feature, my manual says I need to load the Promise
    driver for my OS. However, tech support told me I don't need the
    promise driver, I could just follow the procedure here,
    http://www.geocities.com/ender7007/. That procedure is for a new
    install and I don't want to wipe my hard drive. Is there another way
    to boot from hde? Do I need the driver? Can I use the one for RedHat?
    I looked at the proc/pci file, it's empty.
    My goal it to get my hard drive on IDE 3, and eventually put a second
    hard drive on IDE 4. Then I can put my DVD drive on IDE 1 and CD drive
    on IDE 2. I tried my DVD drive on IDE 3, it runs painfully slow.
    Promise tech support told me the 20276 chip works better with hard
    drives as compared to DVD or CD drives so that's why I'm trying to
    get my hard drive on IDE 3.
    I'm new to Linux, a few months now and could really use some help.
    Thanks,

    Kooner.

    Kooner, Apr 27, 2006

  2. Kooner

    Aragorn Guest

    :/
    More precisely, if every IDE channel has a master and a slave, and if
    you plan on attaching the hard disk to the master of the third IDE
    channel, then it would be */dev/hde,* yes. The slave of that channel
    would be */dev/hdf.*
    Yes, */etc/fstab* will need to be modified as well. However, I
    recommend doing the modifications while booted up from a Live or Rescue
    CD, mounting your hard disk's root partition on */mnt* and thus
    changing */mnt/etc/fstab* and */mnt/etc/lilo.conf.*

    In order to save the LILO changes to the master boot record of the hard
    disk, you will then have to issue...

    lilo -C /mnt/etc/lilo.conf -b /dev/hde

    See...

    man lilo

    .... for details.
    Every piece of hardware requires a driver. However, chances are that
    the kernel will autodetect your controller and load the driver module
    for it.
    That procedure is also for RedHat Linux 6.2, which uses a 2.2 kernel. A
    lot has changed in the meantime... ;-)
    Modify the files you need to modify - see my explanation above - and all
    should go well... ;-)
    I get the feeling that you are talking about "the driver" as being some
    separately supplied software module, or worse: a Windows-specific
    driver - most helpdesks are unaware of the fact that there are still
    A driver is a driver, and it is or should be part of the kernel tree.
    Drivers should also match the kernel version.

    I'm not an expert on IDE drivers, but I do believe that the driver
    module for the adapter you are referring to already is part of the
    /vanilla/ Linux kernel tree.

    And just once again...: the procedure you are referring to in that
    hyperlink you pasted is for RedHat 6.2, which is seriously outdated.
    Does the output of...

    dmesg

    .... reveal anything about the controller?
    Probably because you haven't enabled DMA for that adapter. Check out...

    man hdparm
    If you're new to GNU/Linux, then perhaps I should mention that all
    commands I have mentioned in my reply - except for the commands that
    show you a /man/ page - require root access.

    Good luck! ;-)

    Aragorn, Apr 28, 2006