Changing capacitors on Abit BE6-ll, which component value ?

Discussion in 'Abit' started by JK, May 3, 2004.

  1. JK

    JK Guest

    Hi

    Since this is a common problem I ask, how many Farad ?
    Are there more than one size ?

    I just bought this motherboard on ebay.co.uk
    It was sould very cheap as 'Not tested'
    Ordinary be6-ll version 1.0

    I see severe stability problems with it.

    If I boot on a floppy, it might boot. But if I repeat a 'Dir' on the
    floppy, it passes slower and slower, and then the motherboard locks,
    and the screen signal disappears.
    Sometimes it does not even pass the boot. It seems to behave slightly
    better when I start with a cold system.

    The hardware monitor shows a rather high cpu temp for 450 MHz P3 of
    50C.
    But I cool it efficiently with a 120 mm fan.

    I have tried:

    pci graphics, agp graphics, several ram combinations such as slot1
    alone, slot2 alone, slot3 alone, and several ram pieces.

    I have even tried fsb 66 (with appropiate dividers). I have tried
    dipswitch setup as well as softmenu.

    Any ideas ? and which capacitors to buy ?

    thanking you in advance

    John

    JK, May 3, 2004

  2. JK

    Tim R. Guest

    Best bet is to replace all of the large caps on the board. As I
    remember, it's about 20 caps.

    Take a look in BIOS at the voltages. Wildly changing values is
    another indicator of failing caps.

    If you don't have the tools and skills to change the caps, I
    recommend you send the board to Gary (Homie). The parts alone
    will cost about $20 ($25 is often a minimum order) and the
    work is time consuming if you lack the proper tools.

    Tim R., May 3, 2004

  3. JK

    JK Guest

    Well, 20 capacitors for almost 1 dollar each, and postage to another
    country (I am located in Denmark). I think it is cheaper to find
    another abit slot1 board. I want a BX chipset board, since I intend to
    play with a modified adapter I already have, for tualatin.

    best regards

    John

    JK, May 3, 2004
  4. JK

    0_Qed Guest

    Look for Big Badger, this NG ... in the UK.
    Homie's UK equiv.

    Qed.

    0_Qed, May 3, 2004
  5. JK

    Morgan Guest

    With them being sold as cheap as this...
    http://tinyurl.com/3hdc8
    ....The option to replace the Caps might not be the one that you decide to
    do.

    But check out...
    http://www.motherboardrepair.com/
    As you might find the information that you need, if the replacement of the
    caps is something that you want to do.

    Someone with experience might be able to offer another suggestion...?

    --
    Regards

    Morgan

    Hard Drive noise a problem....?

    www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk

    Morgan, May 3, 2004
  6. JK

    JK Guest

    JK, May 3, 2004
  7. JK

    Morgan Guest

    http://www.motherboardrepair.com/index.php?sec=capkit&kit=be612

    I do not have the skill, nor the knowledge to help, you but I do know that
    if you mailed Homie he will be able to advice you. Equally, as it has been
    mentioned already, there is Bigbadger in the UK but AFAIK he does not have a
    website although he does post here quite often and hopefully should see your
    plea for help.

    Good luck

    Morgan, May 3, 2004
  8. JK

    JK Guest

    Thank you !
    Well, I am an engineer, and I believe they are electrolytics. That is
    why they have limited lifetime. I will look at the prices at a local
    store, - and maybe give it up, if they are too expensive.
    The question is also which voltage they should be suited for.

    best regards

    John

    JK, May 3, 2004
  9. JK

    TomG Guest

    see Homie's site:
    --
    Homie and BigBadger repair boards and have many happy
    customers:

    Homie (AKA Capman), in the US, at:

    http://www.motherboardrepair.com/

    (look for posts from BigBadger if you're in the UK or try him at
    Big_Badger@btinternet***NO-SPAM***.com with the obvious
    spam protection removed...)

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, May 3, 2004
  10. JK

    Salvatore Guest

    Keep in mind that these slot 1 motherboards were mostly all produced in
    the time the industry experienced its bad capacitor problems. Replacement
    boards usually have the same bad caps as the failing boards unless they
    have been repaired.

    I have had a new replacement board fail in under 90 days.

    My 2 cents

    Salvatore, May 4, 2004
  11. JK

    Homie Guest

    Replace all caps rated 1000uf and above.
    Use low EAR caps designed for smps.
    Nichicon "PW" and Panasonic "FC" series are good replacements ............
    And NO, they didn't fail because of age....

    --
    Mainboards, Videocards & CPU pin repair.

    http://motherboardrepair.com

    Homie, May 4, 2004