    to what they were when the laptop is next started. This started about 3
    weeks ago but I have not been able to fathom out why.

    Any ideas chaps?

    M.I.5¾, Mar 27, 2007

  2. M.I.5¾

    Woody Guest

    Whether you like it or not that is how you change the drive letter. If it
    isn't holding you are doing something wrong in closing the windows or
    shutting down your system. Are you deleting the drives? Are they
    reinstalling on boot. Those are the problems you need to look at. I change
    mine to X & Y and the only time they change back is if I delete them and let
    them reinstall.

    Woody, Mar 28, 2007

  3. M.I.5¾

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    I am shutting down Windows by selecting 'Shutdown'. I am not deleting the
    drives. I haven't changed the way I shut Windows down, but this started
    about 2 weeks ago - and, no, I haven't installed anything.

    M.I.5¾, Mar 28, 2007
  4. M.I.5¾

    John Doue Guest

    I am not sure what can cause this, but here are a few ideas. I am of
    course assuming you use the Windows hard disk manager correctly and that
    the changes you prescribe do remain active until you reboot. I also
    assume your system is free of viruses and spy/malware.

    Are you running a virtual drive software? I seem to remember having had
    this type of problem because the virtual drive letter assignement is not
    handled by Windows but by its own software.

    Are you connected to a network? If so, try and see if this happens too
    if you reboot after having disconnected the network plug/wifi.

    Then, instead of changing letters in Windows, trying doing it with
    Partition Magic or any other drive/partition manager you may have.

    The last possibility I can imagine would be worrysome: some corruption
    of the registry. Try creating a different user account and see if this
    happens also with the new user account.

    Beyond that, some expert should help you here.

    John Doue, Mar 28, 2007
  5. M.I.5¾

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    All the utilities that detect these things say that I am.
    I have a virtual DVD drive. But it is nothing new.
    I don't believe Partition Magic can reasign optical drives, but I will try
    it tonight.
    Thank you. I will have a look at those tonight.

    M.I.5¾, Mar 29, 2007
  6. M.I.5¾

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    Further to the above, I had a good furkle last night. Only 2 of the drive
    letters (out of 7) are restored back on a reboot. The registry .DAT files
    are overwriten on a reboot with one containing the incorrect drive letters.

    M.I.5¾, Mar 30, 2007
  7. M.I.5¾

    Richard Cole Guest

    Shot in the dark:

    You're not using a domain logon are you, where your profile is downloaded
    from some remote server on logon?

    Richard
    Web pages: http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk/ for caravanning,
    http://www.rcole.org/ for my personal web site and
    http://www.homeindorset.co.uk because I love the email address.

    Richard Cole, Mar 30, 2007
  8. M.I.5¾

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    Correct - I'm not.

    It is basically a stand alone machine, though it can have WiFi connection to
    the 'net.

    M.I.5¾, Apr 2, 2007
  9. M.I.5¾

    - Bobb - Guest

    M.I.5¾,

    How/why / what did you do to get those 5 to change? They are OK after
    rebooting a few times now ? Still an issue with those last 2 ? For the
    ones that you DON'T want, if you mess with drive letters does SOME drive
    end up wrong or always the SAME physical drive - are they specific drive
    dependent ? ( so that it's always the HP DVD that ends up as 'R:' )
    How about :
    1. boot in safe mode and delete them, then boot normally let XP 'refind
    them'?
    2. Disconnect drives and boot. Then in Disk Mgmt - delete
    drives/libraries/ reboot.
    3. If doesn't work, boot again in safe mode and create bootlog.txt to
    see when/how drive letters are assigned/mapped. Suspect an app is
    mapping it.

    If still no go, since you never mentioned... what is disk layout ? how
    many drives ? Internal/external/removable /permanent / CD/DVD/HDD etc?
    Did you always have specific letters assigned or did XP assign them ?
    ( before/now ? )

    Not to rub it in, but on my XP Pro box I replaced an internal DVD with
    another DVD recorder and at that time reassigned all my burner letters
    ( 3 drives) - and they were fine since, so I know that it's normal for
    that to work OK.

    - Bobb -, Apr 3, 2007