changing FSB and AGP speeds (Dell Dimension 4300)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chris, Sep 14, 2004.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Hi all,

    I ran 3DMark03 on my computer the other day and got a pretty ordinary
    890, which is ok cos my machine is a few years old, a Dell Dimension
    4300. A couple of things that supprised me though were my CPU bus is
    running at 100MHz when I'm pretty sure it should run at 400MHz (at
    least that's the FSB speed of the processor) and also my graphics card
    AGP is listed as using x0 as it's interface speed when the motherboard
    supports x4 and the card supports x8.

    I can't seem to change either of these things in the Bios or anywhere
    else I've looked.

    If anyone has any information that could be helpful it would be
    greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Chris

    Chris, Sep 14, 2004

  2. Chris

    Jim Phelps Guest

    Hi Chris, Some MBs, especially those that come with a processor and
    some proprietary ones, have a BIOS that is locked to the Processor.
    You could maybe Flash the BIOS with a new one, but I don't recommend
    that. If you goof you will be left with a damaged MB and probably no
    way to fix it. Jim

    Jim Phelps, Sep 15, 2004

  3. Welcome to the world of Intel marketing! Your true FSB is 100MHz,
    just as the true FSB of 533MHz boards/processors is 133MHz. Intel
    uses soemthing they call "quad-pumping" (essentially sending four
    times as much data per tick), so 4x100=400 and 4x133=533. Note that
    your processor multiplier is pretty high - a 2GHz processor will have
    a multiplier of 20 (20x100MHz = 2000MHz) whereas if the FSB were truly
    400, the multiplier would only be 5.
    Can't help you here. But according to your benchmark tests, you say
    things are running as they should, so it doesn't seem like there's
    anything to fix, really. You may want to try other benchmarking or
    system evaluation tools, like ones freely available from Intel,
    Aida32, or Belarc and see what they show, or possibly something in the
    documentation for 3dmark.

    Anonymous Jack, Sep 15, 2004
  4. Chris

    BubbaFrag Guest

    heyya.

    i'm pretty sure the 100MHz buss speed is the base speed, then that is
    multiplied by a factor of 4 to get up to the 400MHz FSB speed.

    later,
    Bubba.

    BubbaFrag, Sep 15, 2004