    and then the hard drive. I would like to to first look to the
    CD-Rom. Any thoughts?

    Sam

    Sam Carleton, Aug 30, 2003

  2. Sam Carleton

    Pen Guest

    Push F1 immediately after startup. Then change the startup sequence in
    the
    BIOS.

    Pen, Aug 30, 2003

  3. When the PC boots and is checking or displaying the available memory, press
    [Delete]. (If this key doesn't work, check the bottom line of the POST
    screen; it should say something like "Press [KEY] to enter BIOS".)

    In the BIOS setup screen, search through the menus for a "Boot Sequence"
    option. Modify it to read something like "A, CDROM, C" or "CDROM, A, C".
    Just make sure "CDROM" appears before "C".

    If you still can't do it, visit the website of the BIOS manufacturer (most
    systems use "Award" or "Ami" BIOSes.

    -- Niko

    Nikos Chantziaras, Aug 30, 2003
  4. Sam Carleton

    PJB Guest

    You change it in the Bios. If you don't know how to get into the bios then
    either look in the manual or ring an IBM reseller. I use to have one with
    win2000 on it, but I cannot for the life of me remember how to access the
    Bios. Probably press F1 or F12 etc then switch it on. keep hold down the key
    until it go into the Bios mode. Maybe you can search the web for it.

    PJB, Sep 23, 2003
  5. Sam Carleton

    Bob Jones Guest

    Not on this machine, unfortunately. I have the PL300, and the BIOS (F1
    to access) offer no boot sequence option.

    Bob Jones, Sep 26, 2003
  6. You sure?
    I downloaded the manul from
    ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/commercial_desktop/p00n5979.pdf

    Personal Computer
    Using Your Personal Computer

    PC 300PL Types 6862 and 6892
    PC 300GL Types 6275 and 6285

    Page 35 says:

    The PC 300PL is shipped with this preset startup sequence:
    First startup device [Diskette drive]
    Second startup device [Network]
    Third startup device [Hard disk drive]
    Fourth startup device [Disabled]

    If you want to change the startup-sequence settings for your computer, such as
    removing Network from the startup sequence, see "Setting the startup sequence"
    on page 75.

    Note: The preceding startup sequence is not the default startup sequence for your
    computer. If you change the settings in the Configuration/Setup Utility
    program to default, the preceding settings will change.

    Page 75 says:

    Setting the startup sequence

    Your computer can be started (or booted) from several devices including the harddisk
    drive, diskette drive, CD-ROM drive, and from the network. The startup program looks
    for these devices in a selected sequence. The Configuration/Setup Utility program is
    used to select the startup sequence.

    Note: The hard disk drive is the default startup device when no other devices
    are ready. It does not appear in the choices provided by the Configuration/
    Setup Utility program.

    To set the startup sequence:

    1. Start the Configuration/Setup Utility program (see "Starting and using the
    program" on page 62).
    2. Select Start Options from the Configuration/Setup Utility program menu.
    3. Select Startup Sequence from the Start Options menu.
    4. Select the sequence and devices from the choices provided.
    5. If Automatic Power On Startup Sequence is Enabled, select the sequence
    and devices from the choices provided.
    6. Press Esc until you return to the Configuration/Setup Utility program menu.
    7. Before you exit from the program, select Save Settings from theConfiguration/Setup
    Utility program menu and press Enter.
    8. To exit from the Configuration/Setup Utility program, press Esc and follow the
    instructions on the screen.

    MasterBlaster, Sep 27, 2003
  7. Sam Carleton

    Bob Jones Guest

    Good find, Blaster. I didn't have that manual. In the BIOS, "start
    options" looks like a subject heading, and I didn't even think to
    select it.

    This has turned out to be a great newsgroup for PL300 support.

    Bob Jones, Sep 28, 2003
  8. Sam Carleton

    hobo_terry

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Same problem, 4 years later

    Don't know if anyone is interested in a 4 year old dead thread, but here I am, trying to reset the boot sequence on the same type of machine.

    >Good find, Blaster. I didn't have that manual. In the BIOS, "start
    >options" looks like a subject heading, and I didn't even think to
    >select it.

    Yes, indeed, the 'Start Options' in the BIOS setup does look like a subject and I also wasted an hour trying to find it until a read it here!

    hobo_terry, Nov 25, 2007
  9. Sam Carleton

    Natwarr

    Joined: