Changing password, I get Can't remove POP unless PAP is confirmed.?

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by news.verizon.net, Feb 21, 2004.

  1. Not sure if I have the correct newsgroup, but seemed the busiest, if not
    could you please direct me to the correct one.

    Thinkpad 570

    I am trying to get rid of the password on startup.

    On this IBM thinkpad which has a password on startup. I click F1 to go into
    the bios setup screen, then click on password.
    The only one I can click on is the set power-on password, I click enter,
    I type the current password,
    then I type (enter)
    then on the verify I click (enter) again to verify.

    I get an error "Setup Warning"
    Can't remove POP unless PAP is confirmed.?
    Re-enter password
    (continue)
    I have tried this a few times and no luck yet. I have checked FAQ's and
    can't find any help.
    When I check the book it says this is the correct process to change the
    password?
    thanks
    Bruce

    news.verizon.net, Feb 21, 2004

  2. news.verizon.net

    obs Guest

    Use the Supervisor Password (PAP) to enter the
    BIOS or else you will not be allowed to change
    any of the settings.

    obs, Feb 22, 2004

  3. news.verizon.net

    brucefl Guest

    It is the only password that was used...

    When I press F1 on start up the computer/lock icon comes up, I go into
    passwords. The only one that is black is the power on password.
    I assume that if the Supervisor password and hd password isn't black and I
    can't arrow to them, that the only password in the system would be
    the POP password?

    brucefl, Feb 22, 2004
  4. news.verizon.net

    JHEM Guest

    Boot the system. At the PW prompt, enter the existing PW followed by a space
    and hit enter.

    On the next BOOT the PW will be gone.

    If this doesn't work then there IS a supervisor PW (SP) set on the machine.
    The only time anything is greyed out in EZSetup is when an SP is set and
    that portion of the BIOS isn't accessible.

    Regards,

    James

    JHEM, Feb 22, 2004
  5. news.verizon.net

    brucefl Guest

    Hello,

    So in order to get into the set supervisor password part of the bios setup
    utility is when the icon for the password comes up is to type the spw then
    upon entering the set supervisor password shouldn't be grayed out?

    brucefl, Feb 22, 2004
  6. news.verizon.net

    JHEM Guest

    Correct.