    justifying factors for spending a lot more on an expensive case, not
    counting the differences in power supplies?

    jm

    Jake, Jul 6, 2005

  2. Jake

    Veritech Guest

    tooless
    Sharp edges(rare nowadays)
    Steel thickness
    Material, Steel or Aluminium, Plastics
    Design
    extras eg Fans, Leds, thumb screws etc.
    Layout, Removable motherboard trays, drive bays "btx like" etc.
    Heat dissapation, and temperature control

    Basically there are quite a few.

    Personally i bought i cheap case, from raidmax. Good quality but when ever i
    gotta work inside screws piss me off. I would spend the extra cash for the
    tooless systems

    Veritech, Jul 6, 2005

  3. Jake

    gimp Guest

    in addition to Veritech's list the aesthetic quality can also vary
    depending on personal taste.... i find every PC tower case on the market
    to be butt ugly. :)

    and the ones that are attractive have some other issue, like bad cooling
    or made of heavy steal. there's one exception, the alloy Silverstone
    Nimiz (TJ-03). unfortunately it costs an arm and both legs :)

    http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-tj03.htm

    gimp, Jul 6, 2005
  4. Jake

    Geoff Guest

    nothing really, if the cheapo cases fit the bill, buy em

    i have one of these currently
    http://members.arstechnica.com/x/starbuck3733t/sc5000.jpg

    if i where to replace it i'd get something like:
    http://www.lian-li.com/Product/Chassis/M_V_C_PC-V1200.htm

    you can buy em at (well that model range anyway)
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Lian_Li_Cases.html

    but then, i'v got cash to burn somewhat currently :)
    buy a decent case, it'll prob last you a good few years, unlike the stuff
    you put in it prob
    this is enthusiast stuff, it's for poeple who have top end pc's, spend bit
    up front, save later, it depends how much or little you want to spend

    oh ya on those long cases make sure the ide/sata cables are long enough

    Geoff, Jul 7, 2005
  5. Jake

    Veritech Guest

    Geoff's got good taste, i think that the Lian Li V-1200 is the best looking
    case on the market. I love it, but considering a could a build entire pc for
    the price, i'm not gonna part with my cash in that direction.
    But if anyone wants to donate :)

    Its favourite of modders too, the layout is perfect for a side window.

    Veritech, Jul 7, 2005
  6. It used to be sharp edges in cheap cases, and robust build in expensive
    cases.

    I bought a cheap case recently, £25 with loads of drive bays, clear window
    on the side, with a blue LED fan in the window, blue LEDs on the front
    "decoration", a door flap to hide the external drive bays (all adds to the
    manufacturing costs). It has front USB and audio connectors, and the best
    bit is that all the metal edges inside are rolled.

    If you have chosen a case, see if you can find the same one on a site with
    customer reviews like ebuyer. There will be some warning there if there is
    a problem, e.g. "buy some plasters" and "should come with a pint of blood".

    Bob

    Bob Smith \(UK\), Jul 7, 2005
  7. Jake

    Geoff Guest

    ha ya, every time you doa major change you always cut your hands on
    something :)
    it's mostly when dealing with the pci cards and removing the extra rubbish
    metal bits
    basicly you have to learn to use tools more and hands less, hardly ever cut
    my hands these days

    Geoff, Jul 7, 2005
  8. Worst thing I ever did was because of those damned HDD power plugs. Some
    take massive force to pull out, then your hand flies back, and scrapes along
    a specially designed razor sharp edge. Not too deep a cut, but would rather
    have done without it.

    Glad my new case has rolled edges. And like you say, I use pliers to pop
    out and waggle the knock out bits.

    Bob

    Bob Smith \(UK\), Jul 7, 2005
  9. Jake

    Veritech Guest

    Hey bob was that a Raidmax Cobra buy any chance?

    Veritech, Jul 8, 2005
  10. Jake

    Cuzman Guest

    Cuzman, Jul 8, 2005
  11. Jake

    Cuzman Guest

    Veritech wrote:

    " Basically there are quite a few. "

    A very exhaustive list, and I'd also like to add sound-proofing and
    optimum airflow consideration to that. *Better* case manufacturers seem
    to be able to brag about their heat dissipation qualities, whereas I've
    had to had to create new holes in more than a few cheap cases just to
    get the temperatures down.

    Some of the air-intakes on budget cases have tiny bored holes, giving
    the impression that your case fans are 30dBA instead of 20dBA. Those
    smaller holes are also more susceptible to blockage from dust, and
    errm... belly-button fluff.

    Cuzman, Jul 8, 2005
  12. Jake

    Ian Guest

    Oh that belly fluff will get around won't it! It's not just noise, the
    air doesn't ever flow the same through the small holes. I've had a
    couple of cases like that and I finally wised up.

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0527-1, 07/07/2005
    Tested on: 08/07/2005 04:03:14

    Ian, Jul 8, 2005
  13. Jake

    Jake Guest

    Been there . . . done THAT!!!! More than a few times. Guess I'm a slow
    learner, because I always grab those molex plugs and damn-near rip my
    fingers off trying to dislodge them. And, like you, sometimes it goes SLIP
    and my hand flies at the speed of light dead into the corner of a pci card
    or across the "specially designed razor sharp edge." I've had *some* better
    luck with pliers, but also more than once I've pulled outward too hard with
    too little downward pressure on the pliers. You know what that does? Well,
    I'll tell you: It causes the pliers to slip down and off the molex plug,
    then clamp down on the wires going into the plug, and the it proceeds to
    strip the bare wires right OUT of the plug. Nice.

    jm

    Jake, Jul 8, 2005
  14. Jake

    Ed Light Guest

    Try wiggling it from side to side while pulling.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Jul 8, 2005
  15. Bob Smith \(UK\), Jul 8, 2005
  16. Jake

    Veritech Guest

    I'm all for curves in design, but this is to much

    seen it before on andantech doesn't touch me.

    Veritech, Jul 8, 2005
  17. Jake

    Veritech Guest

    You still end up apply more pressure than you would like too. We/they
    should just use SATA power connectors so much easier.

    Veritech, Jul 8, 2005
  18. Jake

    Geoff Guest

    yeah i saw that on the front page, i don't normaly like fancy silly cases
    but i like this one
    100% novelty value hehe

    Geoff, Jul 8, 2005
  19. Jake

    Wookie Guest

    Things not mentioned yet is removable HD cages .. MB trays and a case that
    is square .. USB ports in front and decent rails to put your opticals in.
    PSU's are a factor to some or you can purchase a case without and get a PSU
    by itself.

    Wookie, Jul 8, 2005
  20. Jake

    Ed Light Guest

    I tried SATA briefly and pulling that out I broke a capacitor off my video
    card.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/