    any idea ?

    th,
    eliott.

    eliott.gentil, May 27, 2014

  2. eliott.gentil

    David Brown Guest

    Are you planning on making dozens or hundreds of these? If it is a
    one-off, I would have thought $4.50 would not be an unreasonable
    investment in a hobby. For a single piece, it's going to be hard to get
    significantly less when shipping and handling is included.

    David Brown, May 27, 2014

  3. eliott.gentil

    Dave Nadler Guest

    Do you need a USB host or device?
    What USB version?

    Dave Nadler, May 27, 2014
  4. eliott.gentil

    azepoiazepoi Guest

    Are you planning on making dozens or hundreds of these? If it is a

    I'am going to make 4-5 for myself, and may do a kit/kickstarter if people are interested. Anyway, $4.50 is acceptable, but part of the fun of this project is to try to make it for dead cheap.

    Currently, it only cost a few smd leds and resistors, 20cm of 1.5mm² wire, a spoon of synthetic plaster, a few centimeters of magnet wire and a micro usb connector. Total cost is less than $2.

    By adding an mcu I could :
    -Ask for 250mA when the device is connected to a computer and not and usb wall adapter (this is mondatory, though nobody does it)
    -Add an animation on the leds.
    -Add an usb protocol to upload custom animations

    Rising total price from $2 to $4.50 just for that is not really great. I could use a $1 mcu to make the animation, let it be programmed via UART and forget about gently asking for 250mA.

    Once again, $4.5 is not overpriced, but the fun is to do the whole thing onthe cheap :)

    Eliott.

    azepoiazepoi, May 27, 2014