1. This forum section is a read-only archive which contains old newsgroup posts. If you wish to post a query, please do so in one of our main forum sections (here). This way you will get a faster, better response from the members on Motherboard Point.

Cheapest / lower parts count mCU with USB

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by eliott.gentil, May 27, 2014.

1. Hi,

I am looking for the cheapest (I'm trying to cost reduce a hobby project just for fun) with usb and high current sink/source (20*15ma would be great) that requires a the minimal amount of external components (the mcu will be deadbug wired in order to make it fit into a small cube and save cost)

I eliminated many crystal-less usb able PICs mcu because they require several external capacitors, and searching for crystal-less one is not easy onmicrochip.com . Atmega16U4 seems nice (only 2 resistors needed), but I could not source it for les than $4.5 including shipping, when arduino pro mini can be bought in china for $2.35 including shipping (but is 33.5mm wide, and will require diods for vusb)

any idea ?

th,
    eliott.

eliott.gentil, May 27, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. eliott.gentil

David Brown Guest

Are you planning on making dozens or hundreds of these? If it is a
    one-off, I would have thought $4.50 would not be an unreasonable
    investment in a hobby. For a single piece, it's going to be hard to get
    significantly less when shipping and handling is included.

David Brown, May 27, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. eliott.gentil

Dave Nadler Guest

Do you need a USB host or device?
    What USB version?

Dave Nadler, May 27, 2014
  4. eliott.gentil

azepoiazepoi Guest

Are you planning on making dozens or hundreds of these? If it is a

I'am going to make 4-5 for myself, and may do a kit/kickstarter if people are interested. Anyway, $4.50 is acceptable, but part of the fun of this project is to try to make it for dead cheap.

Currently, it only cost a few smd leds and resistors, 20cm of 1.5mm² wire, a spoon of synthetic plaster, a few centimeters of magnet wire and a micro usb connector. Total cost is less than $2.

By adding an mcu I could :
    -Ask for 250mA when the device is connected to a computer and not and usb wall adapter (this is mondatory, though nobody does it)
    -Add an animation on the leds.
    -Add an usb protocol to upload custom animations

Rising total price from $2 to $4.50 just for that is not really great. I could use a $1 mcu to make the animation, let it be programmed via UART and forget about gently asking for 250mA.

Once again, $4.5 is not overpriced, but the fun is to do the whole thing onthe cheap :)

Eliott.

azepoiazepoi, May 27, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question