Cheapest Microcontroller or Module Running Linux

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Klaus Kragelund, Sep 9, 2013.

  1. Hi

    For a product with limited yearly qty, I am looking for a microcontroller or module that runs Linux or a derivative of that.

    Sofar I have come across the uClinux, capable of running on a Cortex M4 processor, with what seems to be as low as 1MB of memory.

    From ST:

    http://www.st.com/web/en/resource/technical/document/application_note/CD00242717.pdf

    Emcraft:

    http://www.emcraft.com/

    A module:

    https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXino/iMX233/iMX233-OLinuXino-MICRO/

    ..... for 20EUR

    But, I really need 2 ethernet Phys, so that takes a lot of the modules out of the search

    Any one have ideas for alternatives?

    Thanks

    Klaus

    Klaus Kragelund, Sep 9, 2013

  2. Correction: I only need one Phy

    Cheers

    Klaus

    Klaus Kragelund, Sep 9, 2013

  3. Klaus Kragelund

    mmm Guest

    You can try this

    http://www.acmesystems.it/aria

    the module cost 24 Euro but need a "carrier" board with eth magnetics,
    boot memory ( microSD or serial flash ) and power supply ( @ 3.3 V )

    mmm, Sep 9, 2013
  4. Yes, found that one too. I am aiming for a price in the neighborhood of 10 EUR, but perhaps that's just wishful thinking ;-)

    Regards

    Klaus

    Klaus Kragelund, Sep 9, 2013
  5. Found this one also:

    http://www.engicam.com/prodotti/gea-m6428.html

    But, I think the price is high

    Regards

    Klaus

    Klaus Kragelund, Sep 9, 2013
  6. You haven't said in full what you actually *do* need. USB? VGA? PIO? Flash?

    Regards
    Werner Dahn

    Alexander Y. Sure, Sep 10, 2013
  7. Klaus Kragelund

    acd Guest

    acd, Sep 11, 2013
  8. What about a surplus (W)LAN router, e.g.
    The problem with these re-purposed box is I/Os. I am sure the O/P wants some I/Os, which are lacking in these boards. The chip properly has them, but not on the PCB.

    I don't know if size and power are issues. If not, used laptop (<#100) are getting so cheap for re-purposed linux devices. At least they have USB for I/O expansions.

    edward.ming.lee, Sep 23, 2013