    non-PCI-hugely-integrated-monster parts) chips that work for host side
    like the Philips USBDxx series works for device side? I've not found
    any yet...

    Lewin A.R.W. Edwards, Dec 11, 2003

  2. Check Cypress's EZ-Host products (CY7C67300, etc)

    Robert Lacoste - ALCIOM : The mixed signals experts
    http://www.alciom.com

    Robert Lacoste, Dec 11, 2003

  3. Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

    Paul Burke Guest

    USBOTG?

    Philips On-The-Go solutions:

    * ISP1261, ISP1262 USB OTG Bridge Controller
    * ISP1362, ISP1363 USB OTG dual-role host/peripheral controller
    * ISP1301 USB OTG transceiver

    Not tried them.

    Paul Burke

    Paul Burke, Dec 11, 2003
  4. non-PCI-hugely-integrated-monster parts) chips that work for host side
    I'm not familiar with OTG, I thought that the schtick there was that
    _OTG-enabled_ peripherals could talk to each other as well as to
    normal hosts. I wasn't aware the spec allows any OTG appliance to
    connect to just any old general off-the-shelf USB peripheral.

    Can you enlighten me?

    Lewin A.R.W. Edwards, Dec 11, 2003
  5. Check Cypress's EZ-Host products (CY7C67300, etc)

    Ah! The SL811HS seems to be exactly the product I need, thank you!

    Lewin A.R.W. Edwards, Dec 11, 2003
  6. I'm interested in the same kind of device. I get occasional emails
    from folks that want to use the USB interface I produce to connect
    a USB webcam to their data logger. I then have to explain the
    difference between host and device side USB interfaces.

    It would be nice to find an equivalent to the FTDI devices which
    would provide a nice fifo-style interface, and handle all the
    details of enumeration, etc. Even so, I expect the firmware
    would be much more complex than that required for a device-side
    interface.

    Mark Borgerson

    Mark Borgerson, Dec 11, 2003
  7. Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

    Ken Asbury Guest

    I agree.
    8051-Based, a PC host runs a USB development board in
    a Windows IDE and product can be done in a very small
    form factor (3" x 3" or less, depending on function).

    I don't do HW design anymore but I know someone who
    can do you a very quick turnaround design and board
    layout.

    Ken Asbury

    Ken Asbury, Dec 11, 2003
  8. Ive made a USB stack for our embedded system with the Cypress SL811HS.
    Cypress provides source for simple (low-functionality) host operation, and
    you can find a more complete host driver included in the linux kernel
    distribution.

    Im soon going to add support for the TransDimension
    (http://www.transdimension.com/) UHC124. Their datasheet arragantly claims
    that the Cypress design is naive. This chip is usually used with the
    SoftConnex host stack, which they also sell. No sample source seems to be
    available.

    Leo Havmøller.

    Leo Havmøller, Dec 12, 2003
  9. Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

    Paul Burke Guest

    Philips site seems to give a good write up:

    <http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/buses/usb/products/otg/>

    Specifically says OTG can use standard USB peripherals.

    Paul Burke

    Paul Burke, Dec 12, 2003

  10. The AT43USB370 might be just that.

    http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/product_card.asp?part_id=3046

    It hides the inner details of the USB Host interface.

    atmel dot com
    These comments are intended to be my own opinion and they
    may, or may not be shared by my employer, Atmel Sweden.

    Ulf Samuelsson, Dec 12, 2003
  11. It would be nice to find an equivalent to the FTDI devices which
    Well, besides the fact that it apparently doesn't exist yet (or at
    least, you can't buy it anywhere - is it a standard part?)... this
    chip seems even more complicated to use than a dumb USB engine, and
    quite hard to interface to a "small" embedded system. The Cypress
    parts are definitely more in line with what I was looking for,
    although the firmware engineering is pretty nasty. Still, that's USB
    all over, really.

    Lewin A.R.W. Edwards, Dec 12, 2003
  12. we have used the philips isp1160 usb host controller,
    its cheap about USD 5,- and has a standard microcontroller
    interface (but only 16 data bits little endian).
    The data communication is either via cpu or dma.

    it has a 4KB internal buffer for automatically sending and receiving.
    All transfer modes are possible.

    infos: http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/pip/ISP1160.html

    we used it with a mc68331 @ 15MHz to control 1

    Leopold Faschalek, Dec 13, 2003
  14. sorry for 2 messages, I clicked erronously some wrong button in google
    groups ...

    we have used the philips isp1160 usb host controller,
    its cheap about USD 5,- and has a standard microcontroller
    interface (but only 16 data bits little endian).
    The data communication is either via cpu or dma.

    it has a 4KB internal buffer for automatically sending and receiving.
    All transfer modes are possible.

    infos: http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/pip/ISP1160.html

    we used it with a mc68331 @ 15MHz to control 1 or 2 custom devices
    (maybe a hub and some hid devices in the future) but following the
    standard usb protocols (the devices are also connected to an PC).

    we started with an example PC demo software from philips as base for
    our own software stack.

    An cheap (about USD 900) USB analyzer from ellisoft:
    http://www.ellisys.com/products/tracker110/index.php
    helped us to find some bugs in the software.

    greetings
    Leopold Faschalek
    SKIDATA AG

    Leopold Faschalek, Dec 13, 2003