Cheapest USB microcontroller?

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Bob, Jul 22, 2008.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Does anyone know the lowest cost microcontroller with a USB interface?

    I have done some Googling, and it seems there are quite a few USB
    microcontrollers based on either ARM or 8051. Either is okay, but
    they are not very cheap. They are all over $3 @ qty 1000.

    The cheapest I have found so far is the Atmel AT90USB82, which is
    an AVR. It is just under $2 @ qty 1000.

    Here is what I need:

    Essential:
    USB (low or full speed)
    Cheap
    10 I/O (8 outputs, 2 inputs)
    Nice to have:
    UART
    Integrated Oscillator
    Very low power sleep mode
    Small package

    Not needed:
    High-speed USB
    Fast CPU

    If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know.

    -Bob

    Bob, Jul 22, 2008

  2. Bob

    Frank Buss Guest

    You could take a look at your computer mouse. My Dell mouse has a
    CY7C63813, which you can get for $1.84 for 410 units:

    http://www.componentsuperstore.com/...?ProductIdentifier=CY7C63813SXCCYPRESS3700911

    It doesn't have EEPROM, but you can re-program flash blocks from the
    firmware. USB is low speed, only. It has 8k flash and 256 bytes RAM.

    Frank Buss, Jul 22, 2008

  3. Bob

    Walter Banks Guest

    Depending on quantity Cypress M8A and M8B parts
    used in mice and keyboards. reasonable 8 Bit processor
    and good reference designs. I am biased we wrote the C
    compiler for the two parts families.

    Regards,

    Walter Banks, Jul 22, 2008
  4. Bob

    rickman Guest

    Your need for EEPROM narrows the field considerably. Flash is nearly
    universal in MCUs, but EEPROM is much less common. Is this actually
    required? Can it be added externally? I expect it is a cost issue,
    but you need to compare MCU with EEPROM cost vs. MCU + EEPROM cost.
    You may be able to do better using a separate EEPROM.

    Rick

    rickman, Jul 22, 2008
  5. Bob

    Antti Guest

    there exist china made usb flash micros with 1.0 usd cost, but they
    arent easy to get
    1.84 is already not so bad

    i did recall c8051f326 pricing 2.36 usd but digikey list a bit more so
    you maybe cant get at 2.30
    they are nice as they have onchip oscillator and run FS not LS like
    the cypress cheap things
    i also considered myself once the USB82 ,but eh the last penny is not
    always worth saving
    also if you need add crystal :(

    so if you can use LS use the sub 2 usd cypress LS chip

    Antti

    Antti, Jul 22, 2008
  6. Bob

    Neil Guest

    Microchip has $2.12

    Neil, Jul 23, 2008
  7. Bob

    Wim Lewis Guest

    If you only need low-speed USB, you can do it in software on
    an ATtiny:
    http://www.obdev.at/products/avrusb/index.html
    Presumably this would let you shave a little off the MCU cost, but the
    USB implementation licensing might eat up that advantage.

    Wim Lewis, Jul 26, 2008