    I have a PCI-card for 2 more USB ports.
    I have a AGP videocard (ASUS 9200-SE)

    Who can help me with this problems?

    Frits van Leeuwen, Jul 28, 2004

  2. Frits van Leeuwen

    Paul Guest

    In article <ce8de4$el4$>, "Frits van Leeuwen"
    <> wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I have 2 problems.
    >
    > 1) When I start my computer it shows for a long time (more then 5 minutes)
    > "Checking NVRAM.."
    >
    > 2) When I turn off my computer, and within 3 minutes I turn on my computer,
    > I have no screenview. When I turn off the computer, and let it for more then
    > 20 minutes off. And then I turn the computer on, then I do not have this
    > problem.
    >
    > I have a ASUS P4P800S-SE main bord.
    > 2 Harddisks on 1 flatcable and a DVD-player and a CD-writer on a other
    > flatcable
    > I have a PCI-card for 2 more USB ports.
    > I have a AGP videocard (ASUS 9200-SE)
    >
    > Who can help me with this problems?

    For problem 1) , a previous poster discovered that his USB joystick
    caused the long delay. Try disconnecting your USB devices, and see
    if the computer starts faster.

    If you use the "Hardware Monitor", what are the power supply
    voltages ? Are they within 5% of the nominal values ?

    Your problem 2) will be tougher to solve. I would strip the
    computer down, removing the extra PCI card, the disk drives
    not needed to boot the computer, to see if you can isolate
    the problem. It sounds like something is preventing the
    computer from recognizing it has been shut down. If there is
    a leakage current entering one of the power rails, that
    might not be letting the reset circuit work properly, for
    example.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Jul 28, 2004

  3. "Paul" <> schreef in bericht
    > In article <ce8de4$el4$>, "Frits van Leeuwen"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,
    > > I have 2 problems.
    > >
    > > 1) When I start my computer it shows for a long time (more then 5

    minutes)
    > > "Checking NVRAM.."
    > >
    > > 2) When I turn off my computer, and within 3 minutes I turn on my

    computer,
    > > I have no screenview. When I turn off the computer, and let it for more

    then
    > > 20 minutes off. And then I turn the computer on, then I do not have this
    > > problem.
    > >
    > > I have a ASUS P4P800S-SE main bord.
    > > 2 Harddisks on 1 flatcable and a DVD-player and a CD-writer on a other
    > > flatcable
    > > I have a PCI-card for 2 more USB ports.
    > > I have a AGP videocard (ASUS 9200-SE)
    > >
    > > Who can help me with this problems?

    > For problem 1) , a previous poster discovered that his USB joystick
    > caused the long delay. Try disconnecting your USB devices, and see
    > if the computer starts faster.
    >
    > If you use the "Hardware Monitor", what are the power supply
    > voltages ? Are they within 5% of the nominal values ?
    >
    > Your problem 2) will be tougher to solve. I would strip the
    > computer down, removing the extra PCI card, the disk drives
    > not needed to boot the computer, to see if you can isolate
    > the problem. It sounds like something is preventing the
    > computer from recognizing it has been shut down. If there is
    > a leakage current entering one of the power rails, that
    > might not be letting the reset circuit work properly, for
    > example.
    >
    > HTH,
    > Paul

    Thanks for your answere. I'll take a look of this when I'm back home.

    Frits van Leeuwen, Jul 29, 2004
  4. I have also a PCI-card with 2 USB-ports.
    Now I use this card for my printer and webcam, and problem 1 is fixed.

    For problem 2, I hope it's fixed by useing updates from the site
    www.asuscom.wt

    But I'm afraid that gives me a new problem. Now I do not have no sounds.
    Only beebs.

    Frits van Leeuwen, Aug 2, 2004
  5. Frits van Leeuwen

    Paul Guest

    In article <cekpbf$ah1$>, "Frits van Leeuwen"
    <> wrote:

    > I have also a PCI-card with 2 USB-ports.
    > Now I use this card for my printer and webcam, and problem 1 is fixed.
    >
    > For problem 2, I hope it's fixed by useing updates from the site
    > www.asuscom.wt
    >
    > But I'm afraid that gives me a new problem. Now I do not have no sounds.
    > Only beebs.

    It could be you have a grounding problem. Make sure the printer and
    the computer are connected to the same AC power source. For example,
    all the stuff connected to my computer, is powered via the same
    power strip (six outlet plugs on the strip). Using a power strip
    ensures the safety ground is the same on all devices, so there are
    no ground potential differences.

    For the sound to work, your manual says something must be connected
    to the chip. This is a stupid idea! The BIOS should not be deciding
    on its own, that you are to have no sound.

    "OnBoard ACĀ¹97 Audio [Auto]
    [Auto] allows the BIOS to detect whether you are using any audio
    device. If an audio device is detected, the onboard audio
    controller is enabled; if no audio device is detected, the
    controller is disabled. Configuration options: [Disabled] [Auto]"

    Plug a set of headphones into the Pink audio jack on the back of
    the computer, and see if the Lineout remains alive for you.

    Check that the two jumpers are on the FP_AUDIO header. See item #9
    in the manual, "Front Panel Audio Connector", for a picture of
    where to place the two jumper plugs.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Aug 5, 2004
  6. Frits van Leeuwen

    Alex R.

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2017
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    __________ ANALYSIS __________

    Nonvolatile BIOS memory "NVRAM" stores BIOS settings (Also called "CMOS RAM"). In typical IBM compatible PCs, the POST (Power On Self Test) is as follows. This varies a little by manufacturer:
    1. Verify CPU registers
    2. Verify the integrity of the BIOS code itself
    3. Verify some basic components like DMA, timer, interrupt controller
    4. Find, size, and verify system main memory
    5. Initialize the BIOS
    6. pass control to other specialized extension BIOSes (if installed)
    7. identify, organize, and select which devices are available for booting
    AFTER checking NVRAM, in steps 1 or 2, the P.O.S.T. will size-verify system memory. Hanging at "Checking NVRAM . . . " does not necessarily mean that the NVRAM test is the problem, It could be that the NVRAM test completed successfully, but can't move on to the next testS for RAM or Southbridge components. There are three possible causes:
    1. The NVRAM failed it's checksum test.
    2. The NVRAM test passed, but can't initialize the main memory (RAM) test.
    3. Rarely, if the P.O.S.T. test the ROMS of other on board components before RAM, it could one of those component's whose tests that are failing.
    __________ TESTS __________

    I suggest the following test procedures
    , since bootable devices and plugin slot devices (except the video card) are usually tested last in the P.O.S.T. :
    MOTHERBOARD GROUND
    1. Shutdown.
    2. Confirm that one or more ground screw(s) on the copper motherboard riser(s) is tight.
    3. Resart. If you make it past "Checking NVRAM . . . ", that was the cause.

    RAM
    1. Shutdown.
    2. Remove all RAM sticks, but one.
    3. Reboot with a bootable MemTest CD, like Haren's Boot CD.
    4. Using the Memetest utility for 3 to 4 passes to test that one stick, repeat steps 1 to 3 until you find one good stick.
    5. Restart. If you make it past "Checking NVRAM . . . " and into the RAM test, then RAM is the problem.
    6. Confirm that this is the correct RAM for your system.
    7. Test each of the remaining sticks for 3 to 4 passes with Memtest until you locate the bad one.
    SOUTHBRIDGE
    1. In the BIOS setup, turn off all on board expansion cards like network and sound.
    2. Reboot. If you make it past "Checking NVRAM . . . ", one of those is the problem.
    3. Turn them back on and reboot, one at a time, to determine which is causing the hang.
    SLOT CARDS
    1. Shutdown.
    2. Unplug all slot cards except for the video card.
    3. Resart. If you make it past "Checking NVRAM . . . ", one of those is the problem.
    4. Reinsert them and restart, one at a time, to determine which is causing the hang.
    BOOTABLE DEVICES
    It's rare that a bootable device would cause this, but
    1. Use the same procedure at SLOT CARDS.
    NVRAM RESET
    1. Shutdown.
    2. Jumper the motherboard pin which resets the CMOS/NVRAM (stored BIOS settings).
    3. Remove the CMOS battery for 5 minutes.
    4. Replace the battery and remove the jumper from the pins.
    5. Resart. If you make it past "Checking NVRAM . . . ", either the CMOS/NVRAM was corrupt or the chip needs to be replaced.
    6. Reboot. Enter BIOS setup. Put your settings back and reboot, one device or screen at a time.
    7. If you make it past "Checking NVRAM . . . ", that setting is causing the problem.
    Failing all of the above, you could have a motherboard shorting to ground, or a failing BIOS ROM chip. Flash the BIOS with the latest from your manufacturer. If that fails, consider replacing the BIOS ROM chip or the motherboard.

    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2017
    Alex R., Jun 27, 2017