    thing at all. How can I disable this feature ? What is causing it ?
    I have tried to upgrade to Bios 1006.04 but it does not help.

    Any help will be appreciated.

    Malam, Mar 27, 2005

  2. Malam

    Mistoffolees Guest

    Malam wrote:
    > I have anew instllation of P4P800E-Deluxe. Occassionally I have the
    > system hanging on "Checking NVRAM". I am not overclocking or anyfancy
    > thing at all. How can I disable this feature ? What is causing it ?
    > I have tried to upgrade to Bios 1006.04 but it does not help.
    >
    > Any help will be appreciated.

    Sometimes, Windows is able to dynamically change the
    resources of peripherals devices. With the next bootup,
    the bios detects the change by checking the bios tables
    in NVRAM (non-volatile RAM), and updating it. One way to
    avoid this issue is to verify that the "Plug-and-Play OS"
    setting is disabled in bios setup.

    Mistoffolees, Mar 28, 2005

  3. Malam

    Malam Guest

    Thanks, I've disabled the Plug and Play OS function in the Bio.

    Malam, Mar 29, 2005
  4. Malam

    Alex R.

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2017
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0

    __________ ANALYSIS __________

    Nonvolatile BIOS memory "NVRAM" stores BIOS settings (Also called "CMOS RAM"). In typical IBM compatible PCs, the POST (Power On Self Test) is as follows. This varies a little by manufacturer:
    1. Verify CPU registers
    2. Verify the integrity of the BIOS code itself
    3. Verify some basic components like DMA, timer, interrupt controller
    4. Find, size, and verify system main memory
    5. Initialize the BIOS
    6. pass control to other specialized extension BIOSes (if installed)
    7. identify, organize, and select which devices are available for booting
    AFTER checking NVRAM, in steps 1 or 2, the P.O.S.T. will size-verify system memory. Hanging at "Checking NVRAM . . . " does not necessarily mean that the NVRAM test is the problem, It could be that the NVRAM test completed successfully, but can't move on to the next testS for RAM or Southbridge components. There are three possible causes:
    1. The NVRAM failed it's checksum test.
    2. The NVRAM test passed, but can't initialize the main memory (RAM) test.
    3. Rarely, if the P.O.S.T. test the ROMS of other on board components before RAM, it could one of those component's whose tests that are failing.

    __________ TESTS __________

    I suggest the following test procedures
    , since bootable devices and plugin slot devices (except the video card) are usually tested last in the P.O.S.T. :

    MOTHERBOARD GROUND
    1. Shutdown.
    2. Confirm that one or more ground screw(s) on the copper motherboard riser(s) is tight.
    3. Resart. If you make it past "Checking NVRAM . . . ", that was the cause.

    RAM
    1. Shutdown.
    2. Remove all RAM sticks, but one.
    3. Reboot with a bootable MemTest CD, like Haren's Boot CD.
    4. Using the Memetest utility for 3 to 4 passes to test that one stick, repeat steps 1 to 3 until you find one good stick.
    5. Restart. If you make it past "Checking NVRAM . . . " and into the RAM test, then RAM is the problem.
    6. Confirm that this is the correct RAM for your system.
    7. Test each of the remaining sticks for 3 to 4 passes with Memtest until you locate the bad one.

    SOUTHBRIDGE
    1. In the BIOS setup, turn off all on board expansion cards like network and sound.
    2. Reboot. If you make it past "Checking NVRAM . . . ", one of those is the problem.
    3. Turn them back on and reboot, one at a time, to determine which is causing the hang.

    SLOT CARDS
    1. Shutdown.
    2. Unplug all slot cards except for the video card.
    3. Resart. If you make it past "Checking NVRAM . . . ", one of those is the problem.
    4. Reinsert them and restart, one at a time, to determine which is causing the hang.

    BOOTABLE DEVICES
    It's rare that a bootable device would cause this, but
    1. Use the same procedure at SLOT CARDS.

    NVRAM RESET
    1. Shutdown.
    2. Jumper the motherboard pin which resets the CMOS/NVRAM (stored BIOS settings).
    3. Remove the CMOS battery for 5 minutes.
    4. Replace the battery and remove the jumper from the pins.
    5. Resart. If you make it past "Checking NVRAM . . . ", either the CMOS/NVRAM was corrupt or the chip needs to be replaced.
    6. Reboot. Enter BIOS setup. Put your settings back and reboot, one device or screen at a time.
    7. If you make it past "Checking NVRAM . . . ", that setting is causing the problem.
    Failing all of the above, you could have a motherboard shorting to ground, or a failing BIOS ROM chip. Flash the BIOS with the latest from your manufacturer. If that fails, consider replacing the BIOS ROM chip or the motherboard.

    Alex R., Jun 27, 2017