    verification (OK)message anymore, system just continues to boot to
    WinXP. Does this mean the NVRAM is no good (whatever NVRAM is?)
    Thanks.

    Paul, Sep 29, 2004

  2. Paul

    Ghostrider Guest

    Nothing to worry about unless the "OK" indication shows up
    too often. "Checking NVRAM" is a routine part of POST for
    an AMI bios. But if "OK" appears, then it means that NVRAM,
    the non-volatile RAM portion of the CMOS, has been changed
    and updated. The NVRAM holds the bios configuration setup
    data. The Windows OS does write to the bios and can cause
    the NVRAM to be updated if Windows has ordered some change.

    Ghostrider, Sep 29, 2004

  3. Paul

    Greysky Guest

    Hmmm..... I have a P4P800 Deluxe, and every time I turn it on, I get the
    message "Checking NVRAM" and then a second or less later, it says "1024 MB
    OK" I haven't noticed anything overtly wrong with my machine - but sometimes
    it hangs on the "checking NVRAM' message - if there is an excessively long
    time interval between the first message and the second "1024 MB OK" message,
    I will boot to a black screen and will have to turn power off to get things
    working again - a simple reset will not work. This happens every now and
    then...

    Greysky, Sep 30, 2004
  4. Paul

    Johnny Asia Guest

    Mine too. I just built it today, still adding things, new hard
    drive, software, etc

    I haven't noticed anything overtly wrong with my machine - but
    sometimes >>

    I haven't either.
    +

    Johnny Asia, Guitarist from the Future
    http://www.angelfire.com/art2/painterny/wqe.html

    Johnny Asia, Sep 30, 2004
  5. Paul

    Ghostrider Guest

    Sorry guys...the "OK" after the RAM check is normal. I
    thought the OP was writing about getting the OK prior
    to the start of the RAM check.

    Ghostrider, Oct 1, 2004
  6. Paul

    Alex R.

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2017
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    __________ ANALYSIS __________

    Nonvolatile BIOS memory "NVRAM" stores BIOS settings (Also called "CMOS RAM"). In typical IBM compatible PCs, the POST (Power On Self Test) is as follows. This varies a little by manufacturer:
    1. Verify CPU registers
    2. Verify the integrity of the BIOS code itself
    3. Verify some basic components like DMA, timer, interrupt controller
    4. Find, size, and verify system main memory
    5. Initialize the BIOS
    6. pass control to other specialized extension BIOSes (if installed)
    7. identify, organize, and select which devices are available for booting
    AFTER checking NVRAM, in steps 1 or 2, the P.O.S.T. will size-verify system memory. Hanging at "Checking NVRAM . . . " does not necessarily mean that the NVRAM test is the problem, It could be that the NVRAM test completed successfully, but can't move on to the next testS for RAM or Southbridge components. There are three possible causes:
    1. The NVRAM failed it's checksum test.
    2. The NVRAM test passed, but can't initialize the main memory (RAM) test.
    3. Rarely, if the P.O.S.T. test the ROMS of other on board components before RAM, it could one of those component's whose tests that are failing.

    __________ TESTS __________

    I suggest the following test procedures
    , since bootable devices and plugin slot devices (except the video card) are usually tested last in the P.O.S.T. :

    MOTHERBOARD GROUND
    1. Shutdown.
    2. Confirm that one or more ground screw(s) on the copper motherboard riser(s) is tight.
    3. Resart. If you make it past "Checking NVRAM . . . ", that was the cause.

    RAM
    1. Shutdown.
    2. Remove all RAM sticks, but one.
    3. Reboot with a bootable MemTest CD, like Haren's Boot CD.
    4. Using the Memetest utility for 3 to 4 passes to test that one stick, repeat steps 1 to 3 until you find one good stick.
    5. Restart. If you make it past "Checking NVRAM . . . " and into the RAM test, then RAM is the problem.
    6. Confirm that this is the correct RAM for your system.
    7. Test each of the remaining sticks for 3 to 4 passes with Memtest until you locate the bad one.

    SOUTHBRIDGE
    1. In the BIOS setup, turn off all on board expansion cards like network and sound.
    2. Reboot. If you make it past "Checking NVRAM . . . ", one of those is the problem.
    3. Turn them back on and reboot, one at a time, to determine which is causing the hang.

    SLOT CARDS
    1. Shutdown.
    2. Unplug all slot cards except for the video card.
    3. Resart. If you make it past "Checking NVRAM . . . ", one of those is the problem.
    4. Reinsert them and restart, one at a time, to determine which is causing the hang.

    BOOTABLE DEVICES
    It's rare that a bootable device would cause this, but
    1. Use the same procedure at SLOT CARDS.

    NVRAM RESET
    1. Shutdown.
    2. Jumper the motherboard pin which resets the CMOS/NVRAM (stored BIOS settings).
    3. Remove the CMOS battery for 5 minutes.
    4. Replace the battery and remove the jumper from the pins.
    5. Resart. If you make it past "Checking NVRAM . . . ", either the CMOS/NVRAM was corrupt or the chip needs to be replaced.
    6. Reboot. Enter BIOS setup. Put your settings back and reboot, one device or screen at a time.
    7. If you make it past "Checking NVRAM . . . ", that setting is causing the problem.
    Failing all of the above, you could have a motherboard shorting to ground, or a failing BIOS ROM chip. Flash the BIOS with the latest from your manufacturer. If that fails, consider replacing the BIOS ROM chip or the motherboard.

    Alex R., Jun 27, 2017