    Anyone provide any info? or know of any Chinese-related tablet-pc
    software out or in development?

    Thanks

    Jim, Jul 9, 2003

  2. Jim

    Chris H. Guest

    Jim, under current conditions, you would need to purchase a Tablet with
    Simplified Chinese as the main language. However, later this summer the
    MUIRP with full language support is scheduled to be released to OEMs and
    corporate channels which will include all the languages. For details see:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/tabletpc/evaluation/multilingual.asp
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    Chris H., Jul 9, 2003

  3. Jim

    Jim Guest

    As I tried to explain, this is hardly a practical solution for my
    needs ;)

    However, later this summer the
    I went to this page where it said that:

    The MUIRP enables users to switch *UI settings* to simplified Chinese
    (ok..)
    but also the following:

    "MUIRP users will be able to install a handwriting recognizer for
    Iberian Spanish, in addition to those already installed for English,
    French, German, Japanese, Korean, Simplified Chinese, and Traditional
    Chinese. A new speech recognizer can also be installed for Traditional
    Chinese, in addition to those for English, Japanese, and Simplified
    Chinese. "

    The wording confuses me: 'in addition to those already installed for
    ......., and Simplified Chinese...'. So how does someone with a Western
    tablet-pc get access to the Simplified Chinese handwriting recognizer?
    If I was pedantic I would say that the above paragraph provides *no*
    evidence as to whether (as a Western language tablet pc-er) I'll be
    able to use Chinese... although yes, it does seem that the MUIRP will
    be good if I decide to learn Iberian Spanish....

    Jim

    Jim, Jul 10, 2003
  4. Jim

    Chris H. Guest

    It is poorly worded, Jim, I agree. The MUIRP is to be an enabling product,
    just the same as the language pack for Office. Doesn't matter what your
    base language is in Office, because you can add any one you select.

    The whole, unfortunate thing is the MUIRP, as it currently stands, is going
    to be available in only two locations - (1) on new Tablet PCs after the
    MUIRP is released, or (2) in Corporate settings of large companies who deal
    internationally. They're presently not going to let current Tablet PC
    owners "upgrade" their systems.

    Chris H., Jul 10, 2003
  5. Jim

    Chris H. Guest

    By the same token, Jim, speaking clearing and to the point we're still
    trying to get them to understand the early Tablet adopters shouldn't be
    shafted through ignoring their needs. Last I heard, the more requests, the
    more chances of getting some sort of release to the users directly.

    Chris H., Jul 11, 2003