Choosing an ATX case and P4 motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mals, Jul 12, 2004.

  1. Mals

    Mals Guest

    I need some help in choosing a case for an ATX motherboard.

    I have a Dell Dimension 4550, with 2.53GHz P4 CPU and 512MB of DDR 300
    RAM. During a recent storm, it appears that my motherboard has been
    knocked out. Instead of getting the replacement motherboard from Dell,
    I am planning to get the ASUS "P4R800-V Deluxe" RADEON 9100 IGP from
    Newegg (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-151&depa=1).

    Along with this, I am considering getting a new computer case for the
    motherboard.
    I have the following questions:

    1. Would you say that this is a good MoBo? Are there comparable
    alternatives that I should instead consider? In a MoBo, I am looking
    for compatibility with what I have and the option to upgrade when
    necessary. I can possibly also see myself adding one more hard disk to
    the two that I already have.

    2. What is a good, matching case that I can use for the above ASUS and
    for the alternative (if any) suggested motherboard? I would prefer to
    spend the least amount necessary to get a quiet, easy to install into,
    preferably black case. I would also like USB 2.0, audio and IEEE ports
    in the front of the computer. USB 2.0 are necessary i nthe front,
    while audio and IEEE are nice to have.

    3. I would rather get cases with pre-attached powersupply, both
    because the combo I believe would be more economical and less hassle.
    Would you advise otherwise? If so, please suggest a quiet power
    supply.

    4. Will I be able to use the CPU heat sink and fan that I have with my
    Dell machine?

    5. Can I use my Dell case for now and replace the power supply because
    I have read that the power supply connectors are proprietary Dell?

    Please do share specific links as to which Case and (if appropriate)
    power supply should I go for. Please do share brief pros and cons of
    the few options that you suggest.

    I use my computer primarily for surfing, photo editing, TV program
    recording and home video editing. I may also host a very low traffic
    web server on my PC. I do not see myself playing serious games on my
    PC.

    Thank you very much for reading through and your help!

    Mals

    Mals, Jul 12, 2004

  2. This is why you should avoid dells :)

    Michael Culley, Jul 12, 2004

  3. Mals

    yak Guest

    Why even bother? Just get the replacement from Dell that you know will
    fit your existing setup. Especially if it's still under warranty.

    yak, Jul 12, 2004
  4. Mals

    WebWalker Guest

    I don't really get it, you know Dell computer have compatibility problem
    and why you still want to buy it?

    WebWalker, Jul 12, 2004
  5. Mals

    kony Guest

    Do we even know that this system has any compatibility problems?

    We have no evidence that I saw, that OP couldn't just buy any
    mATX board, throw it into the case and be done (after typical
    steps, repairing OS install, drivers, etc).

    kony, Jul 12, 2004
  6. It might be possible but odds are there will be some sort of issues.

    Michael Culley, Jul 12, 2004
  7. Mals

    kony Guest

    But, there is no data that any issues would be unique to this
    change, relative to it being a Dell system, that is atypical for
    any "normal" motherboard swap. The one exception might be the
    front panel header cable(s), that OEMs often use single or a pair
    of connectors instead of each individual wire-pair per connector,
    but even then it is certainly not guaranteed that a given
    "generic" case's front panel cables are compatible with any
    particular "generic" motherboard. In such situations the typical
    changes are employed, like swapping wire position in a header
    plug, perhaps using a knife to cut header plug into smaller
    section, etc... trivial changes compared to any other part of the
    swap.

    In other words, speculations about specifc, past OEM systems that
    were noteworthy because of their specific issues, are in no way a
    justification to assume something about different systems, years
    later. Is it so easy your pet dog could do it? Probably not,
    but the dog has no business in a system regardless of it's
    origin.

    kony, Jul 13, 2004
  8. Mals

    Shailendra Guest

    I read somewhere that Dell power supply connectors are unique.
    Also, I am not sure how I would attach the ATX MoBo in the existing Dell
    case...

    Any, ideas on what is a good Case to go for?

    Shailendra, Jul 13, 2004
  9. Mals

    kony Guest

    In the past, there were a few that were proprietary. That was a
    minority, it is not reasonable to assume any particular Dell
    system today uses that arrangement. Determine if it is standard
    or not, the specs are quite easy to find with a Google search.
    Usually it's done with screws, but if you have another method in
    mind?

    Yes, the Dell case is fine, unless it won't work. Don't assume
    it won't, do the research. It is pointless to add to landfills
    and spend $$ unnecessarily, unless you wanted a complete 2nd
    system. In that situation you might consider the Antec cases
    with 120mm fan in back (multiple models) and Antec power supply
    included.

    In other words, buy the motherboard you want and it'll be plain
    to see if it works or not.

    Standard ATX connector wiring is as follows,
    http://69.36.189.159/usr_1034/atx_on.gif
    but occasionally an OEM will substitute a different color-scheme
    for one or more rails, yet the placement of the pins, same
    voltage/color to each would remain the same. A multimeter can be
    used to test this.

    kony, Jul 13, 2004
  10. Mals

    Mals Guest

    I bought an ANTEC quiet case and an ASUS MoBo.
    Reused everything else from the Dell system.

    It is working. Thanks to all of you for helping me out!

    Mals, Aug 8, 2004