Chris Keegan of Climax totally HYPES Playstation3

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Guest, Sep 6, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    the source for this interview was PSM or PSM2

    Chris Keegan Chris Keegan - Technical Director, Climax

    Ok. You're making a top secret PS3 game right now. How much better is PS3
    than PS2?

    Put it this way, had PS3 existed in 1998 it would have been the most
    powerful super-computer in the world. PS2, in comparison, has never been
    higher than the top 30. PS3 is roughly 250 times more powerful in raw
    processing terms than PS2. And that's not including the power of the RSX.

    So games will be that much better then?

    It's not quite that simple, I'm afraid. With the extra computing horse-power
    comes a not insubstantial downside, namely that writing code efficient
    enough to take advantage of it has become an order of magnitude. It requires
    programming skills that only the very best developers have, and they're kept
    locked away in dark dungeons. Fortunately Climax maintains a bank of
    genetically engineered uber-coders, awaiting the dawn of just such an era of
    games development.

    What will the new machine allow you to do that you couldn't of doing on PS2?

    We're talking about more physics, more characters, more detail, more
    gorgeous graphics. Much more expansive worlds filled with detail and,
    importantly, things to drive your car into and shoot and bound up and over.

    So that means I have to buy a new TV to get the most out of PS3?

    You can probably get away with only onebut I tell you, this dual HDMI
    interface is a bit of all right, fully digital signal all the way to your
    plasma or projector is a beatiful thing. Crisp, colourful, high contrast -
    black will finally be black, not some cloudy grey. Beautiful. Well worth the
    investment.

    The Cell processor runs at 3.2Ghz. My PC is faster than that, so why is the
    Cell such a big deal?

    These days, even Intel has stopped shouting about the clock speed of their
    processors. It's now fairly well recognized fact that it's not clocks, but
    what you do with them. And in the case of the processor you have nine
    processors working at the same time counting up FLOPS, and eight of them are
    hardcore fast processors designed for delivering hardcore math-intensive
    features like rendering and physics.

    Tell us about RSX. What does it do?

    That's the kick-ass poly-pusher. It's your GeForce 6800 Ultra SLI'ed badboy
    plus a hefty bit on the side. RSX is what's going to blow you all away - you
    thought those movies at E3 looked good? You wait!

    And what's a Teraflop anyway?

    FLOPS are really, really boring but lots of them equal great games. A FLOP
    is a floating point operation - basically an operation which adds,
    subtracts, multiplies or divides two numbers. A KiloFLOP is a thousand such
    operations, a MegaFLOP is a million, a Giga Flop is a billion (PS2 had
    roughly seven of them) and a TeraFLOP is a gazillion (or a trillion - 1 with
    12 zeroes).

    So what are 'shaders' and multi-way programmable parallel floating point
    shader pipelines?

    Shaders are boring, but remember those programmers that Climax keep secreted
    away in dungeons? Well those guys love shaders. Shaders are short programs
    that describe the properties of surfaces, they make things shiny or matt and
    definethe way they interact with light sources. The goal of us as developers
    is to put the artists in control of powerful shaders so that they can create
    stunning and creative artwork. That multi-other 'parallel obfuscating widget'
    thing gives you an indication that there's a lot going on at once and that
    it's very flexible. Which means prettier games.

    Why seven controllers?

    That's an odd number. It is indeed an odd number. But the answer is another
    boring one, I'm afraid. The wireless controllers use Bluetooth and there is
    a limitation in that standard that means only seven slave devices can be
    active at any one time. Hence seven controllers.

    If they're wireless, won't I disturb a game on my next-door-neighbors PS3?

    Because the PS3 uses Bluetooth, rather than Wi-Fi, there won't be any
    problems with clashing with other PS3 devices. Bluetooth operates in a
    number of different modes but I'd imagine Sony would use a low-power mode,
    which would provide enough range for a typical living room use but not
    enough to send the signal through into next door.

    And the PSP connectivity - does this mean I'll be able to stream video from
    my PS3 over 8o2.11 on my PSP?

    That's certainly possible given the PSP's support for 8o2.11b, which should
    be capable of delivering video suitable for the PSP's resolution. It's
    clearly Sony's intention to provide this sort of functionality for the PS3
    and PSP.

    Sony have been blabbing about 'photo realism' for years. Are the graphics of
    PS3 finally there?

    We're getting closer certainly, but I'd stop and ask the question: Is
    photo-realism really what we're aiming for? I want to see the same
    creativity in games' visual style as we see in films. Look at Sin City and
    you begin to realize that the quest for photo-realism is a throwback to the
    days when the hardcore technologists ruled the roost.

    Making PS3 games - easy or just a bit scary?

    Making PS3 games is going to be a massive challenge that will break many
    small developers but at the same time this is an exciting time to be in the
    games industry and creating games to make jaws drop. Who wouldn't call that
    their dream job? - Technical Director, Climax

[...]

    interesting interview, except for the utter bullshit about supercomputers.

    Guest, Sep 6, 2005

  2. Guest

    mike Guest

    Christ, how many times have we heard shit like this from Sony and media in
    the past? pff..
    Key phrase here.. 'not insubstantial downside'. That means, SUBSTANTIAL
    downside. How sneaky. not..
    um... DUH?? lol. i mean really, would you expect anything less of a next-gen
    system?

    And this is news? where is the news?
    Um... wrong? The PS3 version of the Cell has 8 all together, with 1 PPE
    core, and 7 SPEs. This will probably be lowered again for final PS3 specs.
    RIGHT.... good one!
    FLOPS are deceiving on paper, especially when they are skewed by Sony
    propaganda.
    And this is new only to PS2 owners... My Xbox has shaders, and my computer
    has had a shader capable video card since oh.. 2001. It's about time Sony
    realized the importance of shaders, even if it's a bit too late to be
    considered something special now.
    Christ... WAY TO AVOID THE QUESTION... It's evident now that when it comes
    to the photorealism we are all waiting for, the next-generation still isn't
    the answer, to the disappointment of many. Neither the PS3 or 360 will
    provide that, although it will be closer than current-gen consoles.

    Again, not at all a great comeback, or reassuring in the least...

    What a crock of shit. I've never seen so much bologna in my life. I hate
    bologna. Where is the news? This is nothing we didn't already know.. So far,
    i'm pretty disappointed in both the 360 and the PS3, although i have to say
    that what i've seen from MS is atleast REAL. Sony is so full of bullshit, i
    think the PS3 should be molded in brown with a few speckles of yellow here
    and there to set it off.

    mike, Sep 6, 2005

  3. Guest

    carrajo Guest

    Making PS3 games is going to be a massive challenge that will break many
    Hmmmmm, not good, not good at all. Less developers, less innovation, less
    variety, less competition, higer prices and more shitty games. Thanks
    SONY!!!

    carrajo, Sep 7, 2005
  4. Guest

    Chris F Guest

    just because this was stated in an article referring to PS3, does not
    mean Sony are the only ones responsible.

    anyway, for my tuppence worth, whats the odds on climax going bust in
    the next couple of years ;)

    Chris F, Sep 7, 2005
  5. this guy is a huge nerd and works for a company called 'climax'

    right.

    furious gibbon, Sep 7, 2005
  6. Guest

    knight37 Guest

    Yawn. So much bullshit his eyes were turning brown.

    Knight37

    knight37, Sep 7, 2005
  7. That statement actually makes no sense.
    The more power you have at your disposal the sloppier you can be with
    your code.

    I think making massive and top notch games might break a small developer
    but making an average joe game isn't going to do anything but be easier
    for a developer.

    KillzoneBigNuts2, Sep 7, 2005
  8. Guest

    Pessimist Guest

    Nice line. But some people's eyes actually are brown.

    HTH.

    -P

    Pessimist, Sep 7, 2005
  9. Guest

    Jordan Guest

    The other part of the "not insubstantial downside" is that code written
    for the cell processor won't be as easy to port to other platforms
    (according to the head of Valve). So not only is the code more
    difficult to write, but you can't amortize the cost of writing the code
    by easily shoveling it to different platforms.

    On the whole though, that could be a good thing. Forcing developers to
    write unique code for each platform. Of course the problem there is not
    every developer will have the money to do so and will be forced to
    choose one or the other.

    - Jordan

    Jordan, Sep 7, 2005
  10. Guest

    mike Guest

    I liked my line better. They haven't yet disclosed plans for a yellow
    speckled, brown PS3

    mike, Sep 8, 2005
  11. Guest

    Jordan Guest

    That was the Sega Uranus. Remember, if it doesn't have a brown ring
    around it it aint Uranus.

    - Jordan

    Jordan, Sep 8, 2005