    C:\lxkz11 and it starts copying the files and it gets 92% finished before it
    asks for disk 3. Thanks for your efforts and help
    Jane

    Was Curious, Nov 3, 2003

  2. Was Curious

    Joan Guest

    Jane, see if they have WK2 drivers. I posted that earlier too.

    Joan

    Joan, Nov 3, 2003

  3. Was Curious

    Was Curious Guest

    Joan
    I am sorry I didn't see a post until now - I will check right away. Thanks
    for the tip
    Jane

    Was Curious, Nov 3, 2003
  4. Was Curious

    Was Curious Guest

    No Joan - I just had the disk in the Drive and it only has XP drivers!
    But.....that leads me to another question. While the Disk was in the drive I
    went to My Computer| Right-click and the only option to open it was "Open
    with Paint Shop Pro 7". Now, I see that it's a 30 day trial for PSP what
    program will I open files with when PSP expires and my next question will be
    how? I am surprised that it's set up that I open files with a trial
    program.
    Thanks,
    Jane

    Was Curious, Nov 3, 2003
  5. Was Curious

    Cynthia G Guest

    PSP installs this option to the right click menu itself. Your system
    was not setup that way, just the program trying to make itself
    indespensable. I needed to tweak the Registry to get rid of it. (the
    option on the menu not PSP). Once you uninstall PSP, this option will
    disappear.

    You don't *need* to open your picture files. There is should also be a
    Open with option on the right menu. This will usually point to several
    of the programs on your system capable of handling pictures (.jpg, .gif,
    ..tif, etc). In XP the free one that comes with is Windows Picture and
    Fax Viewer.

    If you want a free program that gives you editing / printing options for
    your pics and excellent viewing ability try irfranview. It's great and
    amazingly free! http://www.irfanview.com/

    HTH, Cynthia

    Cynthia G, Nov 4, 2003
  6. Was Curious

    Joan Guest

    Jane, go to the printer's web site and check for updated drivers there.
    Don't panic about PSP7.

    "My computer" will open all your document and graphic files. For
    pictures when you double click on them it will open in Windows Picture
    and Fax Viewer from that program you can choose to work or change the
    graphic by choosing the little icon next to the question mark on the
    right and that will take you right to the Paint Program. You can also
    open paint program by, Going to "start, programs, accessories and choose
    Paint" and you can also choose "Windows Movie Maker".

    Below is the best program for graphic files, video and sound and it is
    free.

    www.irfanview.com

    Be sure to download the plugins for the program. These add sound video
    features.

    Once you get over some of your problems, learn a little more about XP,
    there is a learning curve, but you will like it better then Win98SE.

    Networking is hard, for me it was trial and error and I just kept
    reading and trying. Now all my three systems have WinXP and I have
    cable modem and it became easier. Was still not perfect. We all get
    very aggravated at times. :)

    Joan, Nov 4, 2003
  7. Was Curious

    Was Curious Guest

    Thank you Joan and Cynthia - are you twins....lol...almost the exact same
    answer to my PSP panic attack.
    I will download irfanview and play with it tomorrow.
    The networking seems ok - as for the printer I am not going to worry and I
    couldn't find drivers on Dell's page (at least not for this printer). If I
    need two printers I will have to get a bigger house:))
    Jane

    Was Curious, Nov 4, 2003
  8. Was Curious

    Joan Guest

    Joan, Nov 4, 2003
  9. Was Curious

    Was Curious Guest

    Joan,
    I actually have a Dell 740J and it does not have any drivers other than XP.
    Christopher was trying to help me by having me download drivers for the
    Lexmark since they are compatible but as you saw it's not working for me.
    The Lexmark offers the Windows98 drivers but they are not giving me the
    whole file.
    Thanks anyway
    Jane

    Was Curious, Nov 4, 2003
  10. Was Curious

    Cynthia G Guest

    You're welcome.

    As for the network/printer problem - sorry - not something I know too
    much about.

    I'm not sure of your details, but I do know that my Laser printer at
    work says not to connect it to a Network, but it is supposed to work
    with a print server (which, I believe some network routers have
    built-in) so probably someone here can give you better assistance on
    this issue.

    Are you the same person who had another post about a Dell printer: the
    J740? Is this the one giving you trouble?

    Drivers; Win2000 - http://tinyurl.com/tjkf

    WinXP - http://tinyurl.com/tjkj

    (these both goto Dell's driver pages, but the links were very long)

    HTH, Cynthia

    Cynthia G, Nov 4, 2003
  11. Was Curious

    Cynthia G Guest

    Jane,

    I gave you the link to the Win2000 driver for the Dell printer. Do I
    understand correctly that your trying to get it to work with Win98? I'm
    pretty sure Dell is making things current or future only. My Dim4550
    would not let me install WIn98 as a operating system because the
    hardware surpasses Win98's understanding. I think their printer are the
    same Win2K, XP only.

    If it's a network - do you any machines running XP / 2K? Maybe it'll be
    happy connected to them instead of the 98 system.

    Are you within your 30 days of purchase? You can send it back to Dell,
    since it doesn't work as you wish, but I'm sure they'll charge you to
    ship it back.

    Cynthia

    Cynthia G, Nov 4, 2003
  12. this confustion is the unfortnate result of not being attached to the
    original post...
    in summary, jan has a dell j740 which is a usb printer with drivers for
    winxp/2k. she has it attached and working to her new winxp dell
    (assumption) and wants to be able to install on on her old win98 pc that is
    networked to the new winxp pc. since it is built on a lexmark engine i
    suggest she try the lexmark z11 drivers and *try* them. it may not work but
    she can not even insall the lexmark z11 drivers without it asking for
    installation disk 3. perhaps this should end right here but i was going to
    try to install the driver on a win98 pc and let her know the results...
    anyone with a win98 pc that wants to see if they can install the drivers and
    give her feed back, please do so.

    Christopher Muto, Nov 4, 2003
  13. Was Curious

    Was Curious Guest

    Thank you - everything is exactly as you state including your assumption.
    Jane

    Was Curious, Nov 4, 2003
  14. everying except that i called you jan instead of jane. sorry.

    Christopher Muto, Nov 4, 2003
  15. i downloaded and installed the driver without incident on a trusty old
    windows 98 pc....
    went to lexmark.com, clicked on 'united states', clicked on 'drivers and
    downloads', clicked on 'inkjet printers',then 'z11 color jetprinter', then
    'cj3911le.exe'...
    once downloaded it extracted and ran setup and installed without any
    hesitation... i hate for you to spend any more time on this considering
    that it all my be for naught. but if you want to try to get past the disk 3
    question perhaps you ask lexmark tech support throught this form on their
    site... http://support.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/email.cgi?ccs=229:1:0:281:0:0

    Christopher Muto, Nov 5, 2003
  16. ps, another solution would be to just install xp on the win98 pc... should
    be fine if it is at least a pentium ii with 256mb of ram and a 20gb drive.

    Christopher Muto, Nov 5, 2003
  17. Was Curious

    Was Curious Guest

    Hi Christopher,
    Yes, I think I will try to install XP on the old computer and then I can
    share the printer but first I have problems with this one and would like to
    straighten that out with Dell. Below, I have a post requesting help.
    Thanks for all your help.
    Jane
    PS...I tried once more and still got the insert Disk 3 and I followed your
    post so I am downloading the exact same file.

    Was Curious, Nov 5, 2003