    drives from another Mac running panther. But they seem to be invisible
    to Classic applications (specifically Outlook Express). Is this normal
    or do I have a configuration problem?

    Alan Quirt, May 28, 2004

  2. It is normal.

    Cathy

    Cathy Stevenson, May 28, 2004

  3. Alan Quirt

    Alan Quirt Guest

    Is anyone aware of any way to mount an image that is already mounted in
    Panther so it can be seen by Classic apps? Maybe a little freeware or
    shareware utility?

    Alan Quirt, May 28, 2004
  4. Try "dmg fixer for Mac OS 9", in conjunction with
    Disk Copy 6.4 or later.

    George Williams, May 29, 2004
  5. Alan Quirt

    Alan Quirt Guest

    Thanks for this pointer. It may be useful in other situations.

    My problem is a little different. I am not trying to mount a DMG file
    with a bad file type when booted into OS 9.

    I am running OS X Panther, I have a DMG file mounted on my Panther
    desktop, and it works fine in Panther. Classic applications such as
    Outlook Express can see all my actual drives (including partitions) but
    the mounted DMG "disks" do not show up at all. To save an attachment
    into a disk image I have to save it to a real disk then copy it to the
    mounted DMG disk.

    Alan Quirt, May 29, 2004
  6. Try unlocking the mounted dmg in X first (permissions),
    although probably unnecessary.

    It works o.k. for me, though. Boot up in X, create
    blank.dmg with Disk Copy or whatever, on X desktop.
    Drag files onto mounted image. Do not eject.

    Boot up in 9, drag blank.dmg onto 9 desktop, drag
    blank.dmg onto Disk Copy. It mounts, then drag items
    onto mounted image. Drag blank.dmg back into X desktop.
    Boot up in X. Mount blank.dmg; it now contains files
    from both X and 9.

    George Williams, May 29, 2004
  7. Alan Quirt

    John Seal Guest

    This "just works" for me, under 10.3.4 and at least back to 10.3.3. I
    have a read/write .sparseimage file that I mount in Panther, and the
    Classic version of Quicktime Player sees it just fine. I don't know if
    other Classic apps can see it, but I would expect so.

    What I wish is that OS X was more like other unices and mounted
    filesystems on an existing mountpoint, shadowing what's already there,
    instead of trying to create new numbered mountpoints if already exists.

    John Seal, May 31, 2004
  8. Alan Quirt

    Alan Quirt Guest

    What I am trying to do is a little different. I am running Panther, and
    have a DMG "disk" mounted on the Panther desktop.

    When I ran a Classic application such as Outlook Express, I could not
    access that DMG disk; it did not show up in Open or Save dialogs.
    However that problem seems to have been fixed by running the 10.3.4
    combo updater.

    Alan Quirt, May 31, 2004