Classic mistakes from an old pre-X user

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Nightrain, Apr 20, 2006.

  1. Nightrain

    Nightrain Guest

    I recently bit the bullet and loaded OS X Tiger 10.4.3 (updated to
    10.4.6) on a Mac PowerPC G4 duo 450 MHz with two HD's: Quantum 30 gig
    and Seagate 120 gig. Printer is HP Deskjet 1220c with updated driver.

    The first time I made a mistake by formatting the Quantum as Mac OSX
    extended Journaled Case-sensitive through the Disk utility.

    The second time, I partitioned the 30 Gig Quantum to provide 10 Gigs
    exclusively for Classice, and I named it "Classic". Well, the System
    Preferences Classic window reports that I don't have a version of Mac
    OS 9 installed that supports Classic. "Classic cannot find a Mac OS 9
    system folder on the startup disk to use. I re-installed it using my
    original G4 OS9 System disks with no results. There is, in fact one
    there that was loaded from the Tiger disks, and I'm wondering if the
    "Classic" partition is confusing the finder.

    My new Quark 6.5 and Adobe CS2 programs are not liking Tiger and
    Photoshop gives me the following error message when opening any file:
    "Could not complete your request because of a program error."

    Other error messages include:
    while printing a pdf..."document could not be printed"
    printing from preview...no pages from the document were selected to be
    printed

    Suitcase Fusion keeps asking for the serial number and won't work.
    Suitcase Fusion application"
    · Error: Spelling Service.Framework when printing Quark 6.5 to HP
    1220c.
    · "The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in
    "alexa" could not be read or written. (Error code -36).

    HP Deskjet 1220c printed a page from a website through Safari, but
    hasn't printed since, and only gives the following mesage: Error while
    printing. Preview and pdf pages also won't print. New driver downloaded
    from HP and installed. No help.
    Adobe Acrobat: "The document could not be printed."

    While opening Quark 6.5:
    Quark 6.1 Unknown error. [-30871]
    Quark 6.1 Unknown error. [-50]
    While registering Quark 6.5: "The Suitcase Fusion plug-in could not
    locate a
    running copy of the Suitcase Fusion application"
    When I opened a native document: · Error: Spelling Service.Framework
    when printing Quark 6.5 to HP Deskjet 1220c.

    PhotoShop: (while trying to open a .jpeg file:
    "Could not complete your request because of a program error."
    PhotoShop: Occassionally all pull down menu items are grayed out.

    Adobe Help Center, regarding a program that was installed from CS2
    disks: "The topic you want to view applies to a CS2 product you have
    not installed"

    Now, here the all time Classic mistake:
    Lost all data on internal 120 Gig AND firewire 120 Gig backup. Why?
    Thinking that I safely "drag & drop" copied some files to the internal
    120 Gig drive, I trashed the entire contents of the backup drive. I am
    now locked out of my internal 120 Gig drive, because I dragged &
    dropped the desktop files, and now the index is screwed up. Result: I
    no longer have any of my OS9 Applications or Client files.

    I ordered a new G4 Powerbook to try and get some work done, but I'll
    attempt to restore both drives using ProSoft Data Rescue II.

    Now here's the question:
    Why can't I run Classic, and what did I do to cause all the other
    software to "punk out" on me?

    Johnny Y'sthishapnintome

    Nightrain, Apr 20, 2006

  2. What's Case-sensitive? Why is this a mistake? I'd thought extended journaled was
    the best format.

    John Rethorst, Apr 20, 2006

  3. Nightrain

    Nightrain Guest

    Hi Dave,
    "What version of OS 9? OS X needs 9.1 at minimum, and 9.2.2 is the
    best. "
    Mac OS 9.2.2 on the Classic volume
    Tried re-installing 9.0.4, but not yet updated to 9.1

    "How much RAM, and how much free disk space? I'm guessing the answer to

    both questions is "not much"... "

    Ram: 640
    Free Space: 6 Gigs on the main hard drive partition.
    Free space: 17 Gigs on the "Classic" partition.

    Nightrain, Apr 20, 2006
  4. Nightrain

    Ian Gregory Guest

    It means that File1 and file1 can coexist as two distinct files
    on the filesystem.
    It isn't a mistake if it is what you want but you should be aware
    that certain things that work with the default Mac OS X file system
    may break with a case-sensitive filesystem (and other things which
    don't work using the default filesystem may be fixed by using a
    case-sensitive filesystem).
    Journaling is good - particularly in the event of a power failure.

    Ian

    Ian Gregory, Apr 20, 2006
  5. Nightrain

    Jon Guest

    Case-sensitive is what it says: The file system will see the difference
    between ThisFile and thisfile and tHISfILE, which the Mac has always
    considered to be variants of the same name, but which most unix variants
    do not - they see totally different names. For backward (Mac)
    compatibility, stick with non-case-sensitive unless you know you need it
    and how to deal with it.

    As for HFS+ Journaled, it is indeed A Good Thing (tm). Use it.

    Jon, Apr 20, 2006
  6. Nightrain

    Tom Stiller Guest

    HFS+ is case preserving, meaning that it will retain the case of
    filenames as they are originally defined. By default, HFS+ not case
    sensitive, meaning that "ThisFile" and "thisfile" are the same name and
    two such named files cannot exist in the same folder.

    Tom Stiller, Apr 20, 2006
  7. Nightrain

    Ian Gregory Guest

    Case-preserving is how I have heard it described.
    Prior to 10.3 server, if you wanted a case-sensitive filesystem
    you had to use UFS. With 10.3 server a new variant of HFS was
    introduced that is case-sensitive - it is still not the default
    though, and should probably not be used for boot volumes.

    Ian

    Ian Gregory, Apr 20, 2006
  8. Nightrain

    Jon Guest

    That is true, 100%, AFAIK. Mac OS X (or rather, standard HFS+) will
    respect the cases used in a filename, i.e., will treat THISfile.txt and
    thisFILE.txt as variants of the same name, even though it will display
    each one correctly. In other words, two distinct files with those names
    can not coexist in the same directory, as they would be seen as one (or
    rather, one would overwrite the other if you tried).

    But there is a case-sensitive variant of HFS+ around. You set it up
    through the commancd line, see the (1.6 MB PDF) document at
    <http://www.apple.com/server/pdfs/Command_Line.pdf>, see page 51. This
    option may be available only on Mac OS X Server - I can't seem to get it
    on my standard Client OS. This variant of HFS+ is indeed case-SENSITIVE,
    so that it will actually allow THISfile.txt and thisFILE.txt to coexist
    in the same location (unlike standard HFS+) and to be seen as two
    different files.

    Now, it is easy to sese that these two ways of thinking can lead to
    confusion if mixed. I _believe_ that this is done for reasons of
    compatibility with certain unix-style OS'es (no flames, please, I am
    just trying here; however, enlightening comments are very welcome).
    No, see above. How a normal, non case-sensitive Mac OS X client would
    see a case-sensitive volume on a server, and how it would display
    THISfile and thisFILE in the same directory to the user, I don't know
    due to lack of experience. Maybe someone else does?

    Jon, Apr 25, 2006
  9. Nightrain

    fishfry Guest

    HFS+ is case insensitive but case "preserving." That means if I name a
    file fOoBaR, the OS will remember that spelling. But I can't create
    another file in the same directory called FOObar.

    (and as noted, there's now a case-sensitive option.)

    fishfry, Apr 25, 2006