Clean install on xps 420

Discussion in 'Dell' started by sparky83355, Jun 22, 2008.

  1. sparky83355

    sparky83355

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2008
    I recently bought a used xps 420 which didn't come with any of the Dell disks. At that time the machine was running Vista just fine but I thought I want to do a clean install using my own version of Vista enterprise. So I put in the Vista dvd and started the machine. During the install I decided to delete and format the existing HD :eek:. Now I see in the selection window for "where to install windows":

    Name: Disk 0 Partition 1
    Total Size: 111.8GB
    Free Space: 106.9GB
    Type: Primary

    However, if I want to select it I get following error message:
    "Windows is unable to find a system volume that meets its criteria for installation".

    I read online that it might be related to the SATA drives but I'm not sure. I downloaded the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility from Dell but don't know how to run it within setup. I'm also afraid that by just trying different things which I don't understand I might make the problem worse.

    Thanks for your help.

    sparky83355, Jun 22, 2008