CLean install Windows XP Pro on 8300 or XPS Immediately after Delivery

Discussion in 'Dell' started by GJ Hohner, Nov 23, 2003.

  1. GJ Hohner

    GJ Hohner Guest

    I will probably buy a new computer before the end of the year. I use it
    mostly for Photoshop, some games, Office, etc. Nothing exotic but usually
    takes a while to reload everything's.

    In the past couple of computer purchased, I managed to trash the OS, the
    recovering utility did not fix the problem and was faced with a "clean
    install"

    How good is the OEM recovery procedure if I need to reinstall. I have had
    problems before with the OEM disk with their version of the OS and ended up
    buying a complete OS from retail and just starting over. This approach has
    been the cleanest in terms of reliability.

    I am tempted to do the same: once I get the machine delivered, start up and
    before loading any software, I will redo the OS install with the retail OS

    I don't mind the extra work and it does get rid of anything from Dell I do
    not want. Its an expense that I would like to avoid but it takes me about 40
    hrs to load everything when I have to start our.

    Please tell me your thoughts or experiences

    Greg

    GJ Hohner, Nov 23, 2003

  2. GJ Hohner

    joe_tide Guest

    You will receive a full functioning Windows XP SP1 CD with your computer. It
    is just locked to the Dell BOIS so you don't have to activate it. Don't
    spend the money for a retail version.

    joe_tide, Nov 23, 2003

  3. GJ Hohner

    Buck Rogers Guest

    I've just recently reinstalled Win XP on my 2350 using the OEM Win XP
    cdrom without any problems.

    One thing to note is that I can't get the OS to recognise my monitor as
    a "Dell" monitor like it did before. I can't find any monitor drivers on
    the disks that came with the computer, not that it matters that much -
    the monitor still works as normal.

    Buck.

    Buck Rogers, Nov 23, 2003
  4. Those drivers usually come on a CD contained in the monitor packaging. It's
    really not a driver anyway just an INF file that tells you system the
    capabilities of you monitor. If your monitor is set up fine now you don't
    really need the files on the CD.

    Robert R Kircher, Jr., Nov 23, 2003
  5. GJ Hohner

    Markeau Guest