    Hello.

    From App Store, I downloaded the free Mac OS X 10.8.2 upgrade due to the
    new MacBook Pro from a few days ago. Is it possible to do a clean
    install from scratch and not upgrade over 10.7.x or onto a new drive? I
    would like to keep the new HDD clean as possible with no old stuff. I
    have not migrated the old data from the old MacBook Pro yet.

    Thank you in advance. :)
    --
    Quote of the Week: "Every ruler sleeps on an anthill." --Afghani
    | |o o| |
    \ _ / Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail. If crediting,
    ( ) then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.

    Ant, Sep 21, 2012

  2. Ant

    David Empson Guest

    It is not worth bothering with a clean install, as you haven't done
    anything on that computer yet which might need to be "cleaned out".
    Going through the installation of Mountain Lion will replace practically
    everything that came as part of Lion. It won't replace the iLife
    applications (iPhoto, iMovie and Garageband), and it won't delete any
    accounts you have created as part of the initial setup.

    If you _really_ want to erase and install from scratch, it is possible
    to create a bootable installer by digging into the innards of the
    "Install OS X Mountain Lion" application and extracting a disk image,
    which can be copied to a dual-layer DVD or an 8 GB USB flash drive (or
    external hard drive partition).

    You can then boot from that, use Disk Utility to erase the hard drive,
    and then proceed with installing Mountain Lion.

    In the process, you will lose the copies of iPhoto, iMovie and
    Garageband which came with the computer. There is a procedure to get
    those again from the App Store, but I'm not sure of the exact details,
    as I haven't bought a new enough Mac yet which uses the new distribution
    method.

    The general idea is that App Store will offer you iPhoto, iMovie and
    Garageband as free apps (since they came with the computer you don't
    have to pay for them), and you need to accept them. Once that is done,
    they will appear in the list of purchases and can be downloaded from the
    App Store.

    I'm not sure if you would have to do the "accept" business before wiping
    the installed software. It shouldn't matter, as App Store and Apple's
    servers should be able to identify that the computer is eligible for
    free copies of iPhoto, iMovie and Garageband based on the computer's
    serial number.

    David Empson, Sep 22, 2012

  3. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Yeah, that's another issue I have. I don't have a spare HDD or an 8+ GB
    USB flash drive. I do have an old blank dual layer (DL) DVD. Someone
    told me to use http://blog.gete.net/lion-diskmaker-us/ for an easy GUI
    method to burn without the tedious work. I will make a bootable 10.8.2
    DL DVD just for kicks and future emergency usages since Apple doesn't
    include/offer any bootable medias like the old days! What if our HDD/SSD
    gets trashed including its recovery partition? :p

    So, that will nuke all partitions including its recovery partition.
    Can't you just nuke the partition with Mac OS X 10.7 and the other data?
    Now to think about it, can make a 10.8 recovery partition too?

    Yeah, I was thinking of doing this method. I didn't know that iLife
    programs were not part of Mac OS X 10.7 and 10.8, but preinstalled. I do
    see their updates in App Store now since my client downloaded the free
    10.8.2/Mountain Lion upgrade (already made a copy of it onto a blank DVD
    so we can avoid redownloading it that took too long!).

    Yes, I see them listed and they offered me updates, but Mac OS X 10.7.3
    was unsupported and needed to be upgraded. :O

    I wonder if it would be the same versions or newer ones to be compatible
    with v10.8.x? Also does doing this void MBP's warranty/AppleCare?

    I will ponder on this tonight while I sleep (too tired to stay awake)
    and hopefully we will get more replies by tomorrow afternoon or so.
    --
    "Any spoke will lead the ant to the hub." --unknown
    | |o o| |

    Ant, Sep 22, 2012
  4. Salut Ant

    you can do a clean install.
    Guides how to make a bootable device from the installer you downoaded
    are available on the internet...

    One point to consider regarding the other thread you started "App Store
    newbie questions":
    iLife applications are not part of the operating system (they are not
    included on the installer you downloaded).
    iLife applications are delivered with new Macs. If you erase the drive,
    you delete the iLife applications...

    Cheers
    Andreas

    Andreas Rutishauser, Sep 22, 2012
  5. Ant

    David Empson Guest

    8 GB USB flash drives are cheap, though not as cheap as a blank DVD.
    In that case you use Internet Recovery (built into the firmware) to
    download a fresh copy of the recovery partition, which can then be used
    to download and reinstall the operating system.

    Another option is to use Apple's "Recovery Disk Assistant" to copy the
    recovery partition to a 1 GB USB flash drive or similar. It can be used
    to boot the computer and reinstall the OS (via download) if the hard
    drive died or was replaced with a blank one.

    http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433

    Creating your own bootable full installer from the Mountain Lion
    installer applicatoin will avoid 4+ GB of downloads should you need to
    reinstall the OS for some reason. It is also useful if you might need to
    resinstall Mountain Lion without having an Internet connection.
    Disk Utility normally hides the recovery partition. If you erase the
    main partition it will also erase the recovery partition.
    Installing Mountain Lion will also install the 10.8 recovery partition
    (replacing the 10.7 one if it is still there).
    To get iPhoto 9.4, you need to either install Mountain Lion (10.8.2 or
    later), or update Lion to 10.7.5.
    The versions you get from App Store are always the latest version of the
    application. The current versions of iPhoto and iMovie have been updated
    to fix issues and use new features in Mountain Lion, but are also
    compatible with Lion. (Garageband didn't get or need any updates for
    Mountain Lion, and it still works on Snow Leopard.)
    Of course not.

    David Empson, Sep 22, 2012
  6. Ant

    Paul Sture Guest

    But once you have registered your new Mac and associated it with an
    Apple Id / App Store account, the iLife applications are recorded
    against that Id in the App Store. I remember some part of the setup
    process verifying that the iLife applications were legitimate.

    In other words, once you have completed the App Store setup on a new
    Mac, if you erase the drive, you _should_ be able to download the iLife
    Apps again.

    Paul Sture, Sep 22, 2012
  7. Ant

    Paul Sture Guest

    That looks very useful thanks. For those concerned about bandwidth, the
    download is a mere 1.1 MB.

    Paul Sture, Sep 22, 2012
  8. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Cool and thanks! So, I can do this on any Macs like future ones too?
    --
    "The sun's just a big glass, we're all ants, I LOVE YOU." --"Magnified"
    song by the Failure band

    Ant, Sep 22, 2012
  9. Ant

    David Empson Guest

    It is most useful in the case of an older Mac which doesn't support
    Internet Recovery, or if you have an unusual network configuration which
    Internet Recovery can't handle (but the recovery partition can).

    If you can use Internet Recovery, then Recovery Disk Assistant's copy of
    the recovery partition only saves you about a 650 MB download (of the
    recovery partition), and the time involved in that download.

    It will still need to do the 4+ GB download to get Lion or Mountain Lion
    itself.

    David Empson, Sep 22, 2012
  10. Salut Ant

    don't ask questions about what Apple might do in the future. Noone but
    Apple knows, and they won't tell you...

    Cheers
    Andreas

    Andreas Rutishauser, Sep 23, 2012
  11. Ant

    Paul Sture Guest

    Thanks. The initial download of ML took just over an hour here. A
    rough calculation says I would save 10 minutes or less.

    It is another weapon in the tools arsenal though.

    Paul Sture, Sep 23, 2012