    disconnected something or broken a lead.

    Any suggestions, others than replacing the whole keyboard, would be greatly
    appreciated. Thank you.

    BMJ, May 23, 2008

  2. BMJ

    PawStephan Guest

    http://guides.macrumors.com/Spilled_Liquid_On_My_Mac_or_Keyboard
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/3jawtr

    A lesson I learned a long time ago...liquids and keyboards don't mix.
    Keep your drink as far away as possible from keyboards, maps, and
    everything that's important. I don't like preaching, but it's true.

    PawStephan, May 23, 2008

  3. BMJ

    JF Mezei Guest

    I am not sure what sort of technology is used by your keyboard.

    Some keyboards have a rubber membrane between the actual keycap
    mechanisms and the actual electronics. Others are done differently with
    each keycap being a self contained switch etc etc.

    It also depends on how you cleaned the keyboard. *sometimes* waiting a
    few days allows any leftover water from the wash cycle to evaporate and
    restore service. Sometimes you've pushed some junk/dust into a critical
    area of a switch and that makes the switch inop.

    Sometimes, removing the key may have damaged the mechanism.

    JF Mezei, May 23, 2008
  4. BMJ

    BMJ Guest

    I took the keyboard apart last night and cleaned the plastic sheets which
    are the actual circuits. Some keys still don't work, even after I checked
    some of them with my multimeter. It's a flimsy design.

    Unfortunately there aren't many Mac dealers in the city where I live. I've
    dealt with some of them and several I'd never do business with again.

    It's time that I built my own machine.

    BMJ, May 23, 2008
  5. BMJ

    BMJ Guest

    Thanks for your response.
    Accidents, unfortunately, do happen.

    I took the keyboard apart after I posted my original message. Some of the
    keys still don't work even after I cleaned the plastic sheets and checked
    some of the circuits with my multimeter.

    Unfortunately, the keyboard is poorly designed, so it looks like I'll havae
    to buy a new one.

    BMJ, May 23, 2008
  6. BMJ

    BMJ Guest

    Thanks for your reply.
    The actual circuits are printed on two thin plastic sheets. Between the
    upper one and the actual key is a small rubber cap which, presumably, also
    acts as a spring return. There's no other protection to speak of.
    That could be.
    I took the keyboard apart after posting my message and checked some of the
    circuits with my multimeter. They appeared to be good, so I've got no idea
    where the fault it. I'll try again later this morning but I'm not optimistic.

    It looks like I'll have to rob my piggy bank and buy a new keyboard--if I
    can find one in stock here in town.

    BMJ, May 23, 2008
  7. BMJ

    BMJ Guest

    Thanks for your reply.
    I took the keyboard apart and checked some of them with my multimeter. The
    paths appear to be good so I'm baffled as to where the faults might be.
    After taking it apart, I wouldn't recommend it. There are some capacitors
    which don't appear to have any conformal coating on them and they might not
    withstand any excess moisture.

    BMJ, May 23, 2008
  8. BMJ

    billy Guest

    At work I once had someone spill some water into a machine controller
    keyboard. I sent it in for service, and by the time it got there (few
    days later) it was working ok again...

    Billy Y..

    billy, May 23, 2008
  9. BMJ

    JF Mezei Guest

    re: no Apple keyboards in stock where you live.

    That is where www.apple.com is for. Just order online and it is shipped
    to you in a couple of days. And you help line Steve Jobs' pockets even
    more when you buy direct :) :)

    It also depends on what you used to wash the keyboard. If the tea had
    some sugar in it, it will leave some gunk.

    You also need to look at the 2 membranes. Often, there are perforation
    to let pins from the surface under the keyboard go through the membrane
    layers to support the casing above it etc. Those perforations will allow
    the tea/coffee/coke to slip in between the 2 membranes.

    JF Mezei, May 24, 2008
  10. BMJ

    BMJ Guest

    I noticed that.

    As I mentioned my response to some other replies, I checked a number of the
    circuits with my multimeter and they appeared to be OK. It could be that a
    conductor in one of the ribbon cables got kinked or broke.

    After trying for several hours, I went and bought a new keyboard. I'm just
    irritated that it's money that I might not have had to spend, considering
    that I'm working on a tight budget as it is.

    BMJ, May 24, 2008
  11. Assuming that you're being sarcastic; i would think that a portable
    computer, designed for, and expected to be used by college, highschool
    and gradeschool students and children-- should be able to withstand a
    simple spill of anykind.

    It's not just M$, the entire computer industry blows.

    The Translucent Amoebae, May 27, 2008
  12. Just because lameness is standardized, doesn't make it OK.

    The Translucent Amoebae, May 27, 2008