    dust has accumulated on the inside. The case is plenty big, a full-size
    Lian-Li, so there is no problem getting to anything. What is the best, and
    safest way, to clean off the dust from the inside of my PC ?

    Edward Diener, Feb 16, 2004

  2. Edward Diener

    Alan Guest

    A can of compressed air and a mini vac works wonders.

    Alan

    Alan, Feb 16, 2004

  3. Edward Diener

    Top-poster Guest

    Hosepipe from your garden fawcet, while it's running Prime 95 torture test.

    Top-poster, Feb 16, 2004
  4. Edward Diener

    Mike Thorne Guest

    Be careful when using a vacuum cleaner on a PC. The fast-moving
    air can actually create a static charge on the nozzle, which can
    potentially zap something delicate. To avoid this, grip the
    nozzle (as close to the end as possible) with one hand and grip
    the chassis with the other.

    Compressed air cans are safer. Short bursts work best.

    Mike

    Mike Thorne, Feb 16, 2004
  5. Edward Diener

    TomG Guest

    agreed regarding the vacuum cleaner. we use ESD safe vacuum cleaners that
    have a conductive hose and nozzle with a lead that comes off the vacuum
    cleaner for connecting to the device in question to maintain a common
    ground.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 120,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Feb 16, 2004
  6. Edward Diener

    Asestar Guest

    Why not just fill the bathtub full with cold water and soap, then put the
    whole pc in there while you're at it?
    I mean it's both watercooling and cleaning! Do it while playing far cry or
    something...

    Besides, I washed my Duron1.3GHz cpu with soap and water, it still working
    fine.. (it was taken out of mobo when washed tough.. =)

    test.

    Asestar, Feb 16, 2004
  7. Edward Diener

    Wes Newell Guest

    I go in with a vaccum hose attachment and the long brush attachment (all
    plastic) for a general cleaning. For the coolers I use my electric razor
    brush to get in between the fins good, where cleaning is probably the
    most important.

    Wes Newell, Feb 16, 2004
  8. Is a mini vac safe ? Seems like anything which has an electrical charge
    coursing through it could affect motherboards and hardware, or am I just
    being old-fashioned and not realizing that the parts are more robust than
    that ?

    Edward Diener, Feb 16, 2004
  9. Edward Diener

    TomG Guest

    no, you have a legitimate concern...

    TomG, Feb 16, 2004
  10. You're all wet.

    Edward Diener, Feb 16, 2004
  11. Taking a bath with one's computer. Jeez, I've heard of perversions bu this
    one is a new one on me <g> .

    Edward Diener, Feb 16, 2004
  12. I don't use an electric razor but maybe any small brush will do. Wheh you
    say "For the coolers", do you mean the fans ?

    Edward Diener, Feb 16, 2004
  13. Vacuum cleaners sound dangerous, because of static charge, but maybe I am
    old-fashioned.

    Edward Diener, Feb 16, 2004
  14. I have an Oreck XL, but with plenty of attachments. I wonder if it is safe,
    however.

    Edward Diener, Feb 16, 2004
  15. I do have a compressed air can. I will try that for starters.

    Edward Diener, Feb 16, 2004
  16. Edward Diener

    TomG Guest

    when in doubt, buy the type of canned air that is specifically called out as
    static safe for static sensitive components. air rushing through a vacuum
    cleaner hose/nozzle that is made out of plastic and does not have a good
    path to ground will almost certainly charge up.

    I watched a tech use a vacuum cleaner on a $20,000 Sun CPU tray assy. with 4
    gig of ram and I watch an arc jump about a half inch from the end of the
    vacuum to the heat sink. guess what? that system became the biggest
    crasher of a server you ever saw with panics and core dumps several times a
    day with no previous record of crashing prior to the incident with the
    vacuum cleaner...

    TomG, Feb 16, 2004
  17. Edward Diener

    Asestar Guest

    He means heatsinks AND fanblades. I do the same with a cleaning brush from
    an old Braun electric Shaver.

    Asestar, Feb 16, 2004
  18. Edward Diener

    TKR Guest

    I've seen compressed air drive crud deep into card and memory slots. I
    use compressed air only after cleaning out as much crud as possible with
    other tools, such as a vacuum and small paintbrush (while taking care
    to not "zap" anything).

    One additional word of caustion about using a vacuum - take care not
    to suck up jumpers. While replacing a jumper is easy enough, it can
    sometimes be a bear to figure out on which pins it belongs.

    TKR, Feb 17, 2004
  19. Edward Diener

    John Lewis Guest

    Components, boards and parts not assembled together into a PC
    are potentially static-vulnerable, since then no ground-returns exist
    for static-charge build-up on exposed contacts. However, provided
    that you don't physically remove parts from the PC, and don't spray
    directly on any open I/O connectors on the MB or any peripheral
    boards, it should be quite safe to use a can of compressed-gas
    dust remover.

    I have used compressed-gas "dusters"many times on different
    PCs with no adverse effect. EndDust and Memorex air-dusters
    come to mind, both recommended for electronic equipment.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Feb 17, 2004
  20. Edward Diener

    Wes Newell Guest

    OK, just to show you how sensitive the MB's are I'll tell you a little
    story. I needed a system for duping drives so I went out in the warehouse
    and picked up an old 586 system that was sitting on the floor for a few
    years. When I opened it, it was full of dead bugs, rat shit, you name it.
    I pulled the PSU and basically everything else out of it except the MB and
    then proceeded to submerge it in the janatorial closets big ass sink with
    soapy water for a few hours. Then scrubed inside (including MB) and out
    with a scrub brush. Dumped the dirty water and then soaked it in clean hot
    water for about 10 minutes. Pulled it out and shook it pretty good to get
    the water out of most of it and then let it dry overnight. Put it back
    toggether the next day and fired it up. That was over 3 years ago. It's
    still running.:)

    Wes Newell, Feb 17, 2004