    use it again in another machine ?

    TIA

    RH

    Razorback Hellbastard, Jul 16, 2003

  2. I recommend you buy a can of isopropyl alcohol (IPA).

    Andy

    Andy Sinclair, Jul 16, 2003

  3. Razorback Hellbastard

    Wes Newell Guest

    The same way you'd get dried up bird shit off your car. Give me a break,
    it's just metal. Do what it takes.

    Wes Newell, Jul 16, 2003
  4. Razorback Hellbastard

    Mike P Guest

    I used pure acetone and elbow grease, it took a bit of scrubbing, those pads
    can be stubborn. Be careful not to scratch it. You need to get all of it
    off to get good performance with the paste.

    Mike

    Mike P, Jul 16, 2003
  5. Razorback Hellbastard

    Flipnuts Guest

    ROFL!!!

    Flipnuts, Jul 17, 2003
  6. What, you mean take it through the drive through car wash ?

    RH

    Razorback Hellbastard, Jul 17, 2003
  7. Razorback Hellbastard

    Wes Newell Guest

    What I meant was that if one doesn't have enough common sense to clean
    crap off a metal surface, they probably shouldn't be allowed to work on a
    computer. besides the worthless brushless car washes they have these days
    won't get dried up bird shit off.:)

    Wes Newell, Jul 17, 2003
  8. Razorback Hellbastard

    Wes Newell Guest

    Look idiot. It's frigging metal. Minor scratches won't hurt it. Any
    residue that's left on it that's not visible won't hurt it. It just needs
    to be clean of any visible crap. And I've installed hundreds of them.
    Including the one that's on my cpu right now, which has been moved around
    at least 5 times. Most of the time I don't wipe the old grease off either.
    So how bad are my temps. And I'm not running any cooling software like
    vcool on the board either.

    [wes@wes2 wes]$ sensors
    w83697hf-isa-0290
    Adapter: ISA adapter
    Algorithm: ISA algorithm
    VCore: +1.61 V (min = +1.42 V, max = +1.93 V)
    +3.3V: +3.31 V (min = +3.13 V, max = +3.45 V)
    +5V: +5.04 V (min = +4.72 V, max = +5.24 V)
    +12V: +12.18 V (min = +10.74 V, max = +13.16 V)
    V5SB: +5.10 V (min = +4.73 V, max = +5.24 V)
    VBat: +3.47 V (min = +2.40 V, max = +3.60 V)
    fan1: 5314 RPM (min = 3000 RPM, div = 2)
    fan2: 0 RPM (min = 3000 RPM, div = 2)
    CPU: +32°C (limit = +60°C, hysteresis = +55°C) sensor = thermistor
    MB: +33.5°C (limit = +42°C, hysteresis = +40°C) sensor = thermistor

    Damn, looks like all that residue and old grease really hurt it. Don't be
    a smartass. I know more about this crap than you can frigging dream of.

    Wes Newell, Jul 19, 2003
  9. Razorback Hellbastard

    rAD Guest

    If it's hard, warm it over a stove first. Then use acetone (nail polish
    remover without any oil)

    rAD, Jul 20, 2003
  10. Razorback Hellbastard

    andrew Guest

    I use switch cleaner from an aerosol, then just rub it off. It seems to
    dissolve the thermal compound nicely.

    Andrew

    andrew, Jul 22, 2003
  11. Razorback Hellbastard

    Ken Guest

    Ken, Jul 23, 2003
  12. Razorback Hellbastard

    Mike Dyson Guest

    Akasa do a specific thermal compund removal cleaner called timclean, however
    any solvent like acetone (nail polish Remover) or ethanol (rubbing alcohol)
    is apparently as good.

    Also, if a jobs worth doing, its worth doing right, so I always clean
    components and heatsinks etc well before re-installing.

    Mike Dyson, Jul 23, 2003
  13. alcohol)

    I used the above Akasa, Timclean. Its just a case of wipe on, leave for a
    couple of minutes and then wipe off. So simple and effective.

    Steven Campbell, Jul 26, 2003