  1. "David Fritzinger" wrote in message

    Hmmmmm......all that huffing and puffing. Does Kono huff and puff?
    Do you hold his balls while he's pushing and shoving?

    Puffin Killer, May 9, 2014

  2. Gary

    Alan Browne Guest

    Don't know - at least you didn't use
    the most vile words in Macdom: MacKeeper.

    Alan Browne, May 9, 2014

  3. Gary

    Alan Browne Guest

    Minor nit: There is no such thing as a proper group to engage with trolls.

    Alan Browne, May 9, 2014
  4. Gary

    Howard Guest

    Not a direct answer but years ago on my iMac I started to use the
    Comment Field in the "Get info" window of apps whenever I install an App
    of any kind.

    I always include whether it is a trial, or version limited. I also put
    the purpose of the App.

    Entering the purpose may seem strange but a huge number of programs have
    names that don't reflect their purpose.

    So when I scroll down through my Application folder now, I can see
    immediate the ones I will keep or toss soon.

    Also quite often I have to go looking for a utility program to do
    something that I only need once ot twice a year. And I haven't a clue
    what the name is. Having the Comment helps a HUGE amount.

    Just my 2c. Never too late to start !

    Howard, May 9, 2014
  5. Gary

    Guest Guest

    mackeeper was at macworld with their latest promotion, pay what you
    think it's worth, from $1 on up.

    there was no option for $0 nor was there an option for the user to be
    paid since it's not even worth free.

    Guest, May 9, 2014
  6. Gary

    George Kerby Guest

    "zara"?!?

    Hell, I thought that bitch died after she flung herself off a canal bridge
    in Palm Beach!

    I'll be damned...

    George Kerby, May 9, 2014
  7. Gary

    Savageduck Guest

    Try alt.usenet.kooks that is about as proper a NewsGroup to engage
    trolls with as you are going to find.

    Savageduck, May 10, 2014
  8. I only got CleanMyMac as part of some bundle a few years back that had
    a great deal on Parallels as part of the deal, otherwise never would
    have got it. It seems to do a very good job of cleaning up the
    ancillary files for apps when you remove them with it, but I don't go
    digging around looking for tidbits after either.

    Lloyd E Parsons, May 10, 2014
  9. Gary

    Lewis Guest

    That's how I got it as well.
    I don't use it myself, I found it's background process intrusive and was
    not impressed with the quality of the work it did do. It looks nice, but
    other than that it wasn't useful to me.

    If I delete a 500MB application from /Applications I don't really care
    if it leaves behind a couple of 4K preference files. In fact, leaving
    them behind is probably a good thing in case I ever reinstall the app.

    Lewis, May 10, 2014
  10. Gary

    Alan Browne Guest

    I used to use a free app called Onyx to do various tidying up chores. I
    don't think I've run it since Lion or possibly Snow Leopard (and on a
    prior machine).

    When I remove an app I use "AppCleaner" (also free), it makes an extra
    effort to locate all files associated with an app and deletes them. In
    one case it was effective to remove an app before re-installing it -
    just deleting it with Finder was ineffective - the re-installed app
    would not run.

    A fellow who runs a PC repair shop had a very buggy, slow MacBook (early
    intel version). He was getting nowhere with it. I looked at it and the
    first thing I spotted was MacKeeper. I suggested he remove that,
    install Onyx and AppCleaner and go to town on the machine. Next time I
    was by he said that made a huge difference.

    Alan Browne, May 10, 2014
  11. Gary

    Guest Guest

    exactly.

    Guest, May 10, 2014
  12. I'm more sensitive to that these days as my MBP only has 128Gb of SSD.

    Lloyd E Parsons, May 10, 2014
  13. Gary

    Guest Guest

    you need a *lot* of 4k preference files to fill up 128 gigs of ssd.

    if you really want to save space, there's a lot of crap in the unix
    side of things that you almost certainly never use, like man pages.

    Guest, May 10, 2014
  14. No, he(?) still inhabits CSMA, and uses the same tactics. Indeed, he may
    have gotten worse, if that is possible.

    David Fritzinger, May 10, 2014
  15. Gary

    Alan Baker Guest

    AFAICT, he had to sell his place in Florida and he's had to move back
    to New York and move in with his kids.

    :)

    Alan Baker, May 10, 2014
  16. I have man pages? I did not know that, how do I get to them to delete
    them if you'd be so kind.

    Lloyd E Parsons, May 10, 2014
  17. Gary

    Alan Baker Guest

    Every Mac does...

    ....but they're only a few 10s of MB, so...

    Alan Baker, May 10, 2014
  18. Gary

    Guest Guest

    usually /usr/share/man but you can use the command manpath to find
    out where it thinks they are.

    it's also not all that much space, but if you're worried about a couple
    of 4k files then you ought to be looking at the rest of the system,
    because there's a lot of stuff that's never used.

    also be aware that deleting anything in the system or unix directories
    has the potential of causing problems and there's a good chance that
    anything you delete will come back in a system update anyway, depending
    on what the update includes.

    Guest, May 10, 2014
  19. "Alan Baker" wrote in message
    IOW: you don't know how. BWAHAAAHAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
    The "iPad setup man" fails................again.

    Puffin Killer, May 10, 2014
  20. "Alan Baker" wrote in message
    I would have asked to move in with you but; the space is hard pressed
    to hold you and the roaches. Plus I am afraid of the rats in the
    walls.

    Puffin Killer, May 10, 2014