Clock and Asynchronous Reset with just one pin

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Tomás Ó hÉilidhe, May 7, 2008.

  1. I have a counter chip whose output is decoded. (The 4017 Johnson
    decade counter). As you clock it, the output pins go high in sequence.
    It has an asynchronous reset.

    What I want to do is the following:

    Loop:
    * Assert the reset to make sure it starts counting at zero
    * De-assert the reset
    * Clock it 8 times
    goto Loop;

    Now this would be a trivial exercise if I used two microcontrollers
    pins, but I want to use one. Yes, I know I can get a microcontroller
    that has more pins, but I'm doing this for the learning experience and
    for the enjoyment of it.

    (I realise I can tie the chip's reset pin back to 9th decoder output,
    but I want to have software control just in case I lose sync because
    of interference, static, etc.)

    As suggested by people here, I'm going to take the microcontroller pin
    and feed it into an RC circuit. The counter's clock pin will be
    connected directly to the microcontroller pin, but the reset pin will
    be connected to the output of the RC.

    The idea is as follows: When I clock it very quickly from 0 V to 5 V,
    the output of the RC shouldn't swing above 2 V (thus it stays low and
    is not asserted). However, if I clock it with a greater pulse width
    (maybe three times the normal width), the RC voltage should swing
    above 3 V, ensuring that the counter gets reset.

    Using the PIC16F684, the greatest clock speed I can get using internal
    oscillators is 8 MHz. Given this figure of 8 MHz, I'd imagine that the
    shortest pulse that can be put on a pin is about 1 microsecond in
    duration.

    With my display multiplex design, (which is what I'm using the 4017
    for), I keep each column lit for 200 microseconds before moving on to
    the next. Given that the pulses will be 1 microsecond in length, this
    gives me a duty cycle of 1/200 on the counter's clock.

    So now I have to pick values for R and C. I have to pick them such
    that:
    1) When a 1 microsecond pulse is applied, the voltage doesn't swing
    above 2 V.
    2) When a 3 microsecond pulse is applied, the voltage swings above 3
    V.
    3) The remaining 200 microseconds must be enough for the voltage to
    drop to zero. (Actually, I've been thinking about this; it never
    really reaches zero, so will this small voltage get bigger and bigger
    every time the capacitor discharges?)

    Now I need to pick the values for R and C. I'll go thru this step by
    step to see if I've got the technique right:
    * Firstly, 2 volts is equal to 40% of 5 V.
    * The time taken for an RC circuit to reach 40% of its final voltage
    is about 0.8 of a time constant.
    * Therefore we need 0.8 of a time constant to be less than 1
    microsecond.
    * If 0.8 of a time constant is 1 microsecond, then one whole
    timeconstant is equal to 1.25 microseconds.
    * Of course we want the TC to be below 1.25 microseconds, so we'll
    decrease it by 10% to about 1.125 microseconds.
    * So that means I need a resistor and a cap, the product of whose
    values is 1.125e-6.
    * How do 10 nanofarads and 110 ohms sound? (By the way, is there any
    rationale behind making the resistor value smaller so that you can use
    a bigger cap (or vice versa) ?)

    So I opened up Protel and made up the RC circuit with the values
    mentioned. I ran a simulation with a pulse width of 1 microsecond and
    saw that the the voltage swung up to a peak of 3 V, which I suppose
    isn't *too* far off my calculations. I increased the cap size to 20
    nanofarads and then it swung to a peak of 2 volts. Nice.

    The next thing I did was change the pulse width to 3 microseconds to
    see if the voltage would swing above 3 volts, and thankfully it swung
    right up to 4 volts.

    So the loop that I wrote at the top of this post will be realised as
    follows:

    Loop:
    * Pin high for 3 microseconds in order to reset the counter
    * Pin low for about 20 microseconds to make sure the reset drops
    right down to zero volts
    * Pin high for 1 microsecond to clock the counter
    * Pin low for 200 microseconds (that's how long I keep each column
    lit for)
    * Do the "clock and wait" a further 7 times.
    goto Loop;

    So basically I'd like to ask if I'm on the right track here, i.e.:
    If I have a fundamental clock pulse width of one microsecond, then
    should I be looking at an RC circuit of about 20 nanofarads and 100
    ohms?

    If anyone has experience playing around with this stuff then I'd
    appreciate any pointers you can give me. Obviously I'll eventually get
    out the osciliscope and see how the waveforms look but for now theory
    and Protel are quite handy. :-D

    Tomás Ó hÉilidhe, May 7, 2008