    Every so often my computers clock keeps changing to the mid 70's ! Is
    my computer half hippy ?? Anyone know whats up ?

    Thanks.

    Mr 1977, Dec 31, 2006

  2. Mr 1977

    matt neuburg Guest

    That is a classic symptom of the PRAM battery dying. m.

    matt neuburg, Dec 31, 2006

  3. Mr 1977

    Mr 1977 Guest

    Sorry,

    Power Book G4 running 10.48. Less than 2 years old !!

    Thanks.

    Mr 1977, Jan 1, 2007
  4. Mr 1977

    matt neuburg Guest

    matt neuburg, Jan 1, 2007
  5. Mr 1977

    Wes Groleau Guest

    On one of my Macs, this happened every time it lost power,
    whether by utility drop or by turning it off. Replacing
    the battery did not help. Apparently the battery charging
    components were defective.

    Solution one is just never turn it off and never have a
    power outage. Since that is not feasible, solution two
    is to configure NTP sync with other machines.

    Wes Groleau, Jan 1, 2007
  6. Mr 1977

    DaveC Guest

    Thus spake Wes Groleau:
    Which model Mac?

    I was under the presumption that the PRAM battery isn't rechargeable, but a
    sacrificial "replace every 5 years" one.

    Which means that either your replacement battery is bad or the other
    circuitry which connects the battery to the PRAM is wonky.

    DaveC, Jan 2, 2007
  7. Mr 1977

    Wes Groleau Guest

    That would be four replacement batteries in a 350-MHz slot-loading iMac.

    My other identical machine does have a charging voltage across the
    battery connectors when plugged in but otherwise turned off. And
    I did use it to recharge a battery discharged in the first machine.

    I thought the same as you until I read otherwise someplace I don't
    recall.

    Either way, NTP makes it irrelevant. Every time any of my machines
    boots up, it asks all the others for the correct time. And several
    times each day, all of them check themselves against one of a large
    collection of NTP servers.

    You can set up a simpler version of this by the GUI pref panes.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    After the christening of his baby brother in church, Jason sobbed
    all the way home in the back seat of the car. His father asked him
    three times what was wrong. Finally, the boy replied, "That preacher
    said he wanted us brought up in a Christian home, and I wanted to
    stay with you guys."

    Wes Groleau, Jan 2, 2007
  8. Mr 1977

    Mr 1977 Guest

    Yes that whats happens to me also. Pain in the butt when you are on
    the move all the time and not connected to the web.

    Mr 1977, Jan 2, 2007