    build) servers.

    Cheers,
    Bram

    bram, Aug 20, 2003

  2. It all comes down to several factors:

    1) How important is it to you to have a single source that warrants all
    the components and that they'll work together? Are you smart/patient enough
    to deal with vendors blaming each other when the memory doesn't work with
    the motherboard or the video card doesn't work with the flat panel display?

    2) How important is it to you to know that your system was designed and
    tested as a unit?

    3) How important is it to you that all the hardware you get is known to
    work with your operating system?

    4) Does the manufacturer of a branded unit do a good job of performance
    matching the components? If so, did they performance match them for your
    application or something else entirely?

    5) Can you do a better job of picking components that are right for your
    application? What network card is right? What drive controller? Does the
    vendor give you so many configuration choices that they can't really have
    tested all the parts together? Or is this a configuration that's been
    well-designed and thoroughly tested with your operating system of choice?

    6) Will a branded machine be harder to upgrade? (Unusual case, smaller
    case, non-standard connectinos, etcetera) Or is the availability of
    guaranteed-compatible upgrades from one supplier a plus?

    7) Do you know how to properly assemble components? (Don't laugh. I've
    seen heat sinks put on wrong and worse.) How much is your employees time to
    design, order, assemble, install, and test worth? Will the machines need to
    be assembled at different locations by different people who may or may not
    really know what they're doing? (Again, don't laugh. People may think they
    know how to do things because they've done similar things in the past or can
    easily figure it out. They may not really.)

    8) Will you be able to troubleshoot compatability issues if they arise?
    Or would a single vendor who should be familiar with all components be a
    plus?

    9) Does the branded machine contain extensive skimping on things like
    the power supplies and drives? Might you prefer to be able to pick
    individual components with known reputations? (Do they include a 10,000 RPM
    drive? Maybe you want one, maybe you don't.)

    10) How significant is the initial purchase cost in comparison to other
    costs over the life of the machine? Does the branded machine offer a
    trade-in option, leasing options with low-interest financing, longer
    warranties, or other options that may make it a better value than it first
    appears?

    11) Will you need more of these machines? If so, won't it be hard to get
    all the same suppliers back together to get another one? Might the ease of
    ordering the machine as one part and have it arrive ready to go be worth
    paying for? Or is this a 'one off'? If you're developing a configuration
    that all of your offices all over the country might need to order several
    of, a single part number with professional assembly is a *big* plus.

    You get the idea. There is no right answer.

    DS

    David Schwartz, Aug 20, 2003