    spend $70 for something I'll use once.

    Thanks,

    - Mark

    markjen, Oct 24, 2003

  2. markjen

    Ed Jay Guest

    Get the shareware version. ;-)

    Ed Jay (No M to reply)

    Ed Jay, Oct 24, 2003

  3. markjen

    John Tindle Guest

    Check out XXCOPY at www.xxcopy.com
    It will copy everything from one drive to another including XP system files.
    Threre's a free version that will do what you want.

    JT

    John Tindle, Oct 24, 2003
  4. markjen

    BoB Guest

    It didn't used to clone XP installations?????????

    BoB, Oct 24, 2003
  5. markjen

    Ed Jay Guest

    I does now. I did one yesterday. :)

    Ed

    Ed Jay, Oct 24, 2003
  6. markjen

    markjen Guest

    Check out XXCOPY at www.xxcopy.com
    Yep, looks good, thanks for the tip.

    - Mark

    markjen, Oct 24, 2003
  7. markjen

    BoB Guest

    Please elaborate, last year he didn't intend to
    integrate volume shadow copy to create bootable cloning of nt
    partitions. When I visited his site today I found no mention of it,
    just for win9x.

    BoB, Oct 24, 2003
  8. markjen

    Jens Baumann Guest

    BoB wrote:

    [Ghost Trialware]
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...f&view=pfdocs&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=

    You do not need "volume shadow" or anything like that. Just create
    bootable floppy disks.

    Jens Baumann, Oct 24, 2003
  9. markjen

    BoB Guest

    XXcopy runs within the windows shell, of course Ghost uses DOS!
    DOS is slow as molasses!

    BoB, Oct 24, 2003
  10. markjen

    mrdancer Guest

    But at least it works!!

    mrdancer, Oct 24, 2003
  11. I miss Novell DOS 7 ;(

    Philip Callan, Oct 24, 2003
  12. markjen

    Ed Guest

    On my old KT133A boards I have dual boot setups (Win98 or Me / WinXP Pro
    ) and run Ghost from Win98/Me and backup the WinXP partition from there,
    it's a whole lot faster then Ghost in DOS on those boards!

    Cheers,
    Ed

    Ed, Oct 24, 2003
  13. markjen

    Nitrof Guest

    That is why I always recommend Drive Image, especially the latest
    one - which will save HD image from Windows.
    To restore the image to disk, one has to boot from the
    CD - which loads NT system files.

    Operations can be scheduled.

    It is fast.

    A more complex version (I do not remember how it is
    called) will even make periodical incremental images.

    ========

    Nitrof, Oct 25, 2003
  14. markjen

    Ed Guest

    Since what version? , think the last version I had was 4.0.
    Ed

    Ed, Oct 25, 2003
  15. markjen

    Nitrof Guest

    Drive Image 7.

    or even better

    PowerQuest V21 Protector

    Nitrof, Oct 25, 2003

  16. Yeah, very fast indeed ... when making an image. Also pretty
    fast when restoring one ... AFTER it booted from the CD ... (which
    is a pretty slow and painful bootup)

    Mark Timerding, Oct 25, 2003
  17. markjen

    Jens Baumann Guest

    I never trust an application which creates an image of the installation
    it is RUNNING on at the time. If you boot to DOS and fire up Ghost from
    there, you have at least the guarantee that no file is somehow locked /
    in use / modified while being copied etc. And you don't have to install
    anything, which is a huge plus when you want to create a clean
    installation image.

    Jens Baumann, Oct 27, 2003
  18. markjen

    mrdancer Guest

    I've used xxcopy to clone several drives, and in each case the result was
    perfect. You run the clone twice to make sure everything was cloned
    correctly (in each case, it was). The second running of the clone only
    takes a few seconds.

    mrdancer, Oct 27, 2003