Cloning/ghosting thinkpad harddrive with rapid restore to a new bigger drive

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Rich, Sep 30, 2003.

  1. Rich

    Rich Guest

    I have a new thinkpad x31 with a 20 gig drive. For a project I am
    working on I need to increase the hardrive size to 60 gigs.

    What is the best way to upgrade the drive? Normally I would just ghost
    the drive but ghosting doesnt seem to pick up the hidden rapid restore
    partition.

    I saw one one site that mentioned that I could possible use ghost with
    a command line for sector by sector copy after I unprotected the rapid
    restore partition. Which command line do I want to use in ghost?? I
    was thinking the -ia command but not 100% sure.. Also I planned to
    ghost to cds if possible rather then ghost accross the network. If I
    do a sector by sector ghost would I have to come up with a full set of
    35 or so cds for the 20 gig drive even though it is almost 80% empty
    if I do a sector by sector copy?

    What about partition magic? Would the partition magic clone function
    work? For this I would have to install both laptop hardrives in to my
    pc I guess so this is my second resort but I wanted to know if anyone
    ever used partition magic to clone the partitions.

    If I cant get either of these to work does IBM charge for the rapid
    restore cds?

    Rich, Sep 30, 2003

  2. Rich

    Airman Basic Guest