    drives are sata, old one 80gb new one 360gb win xp.
    Any and all help appreciated.

    Mike...............Tn.

    Mike, Nov 13, 2008

  2. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Sorry spelled Dimension wrong.

    Mike, Nov 13, 2008

  3. Mike

    Ben Myers Guest

    Dell Dementia. Is that better?

    Does the version of software you are using support drives larger than
    128GB, yet another one of those famous and stupid hard drive limits
    foisted off on us by BIOS programmers and other software developers??

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Nov 13, 2008
  4. Mike

    aid Guest

    Hi there Ben,
    Thanks for the reply. Please excuse my replying from
    Google. I inadvertently clicked off befor answering you. See I told
    you I was old LOL. I used the Western Digital software to format and
    add driver so the full 360gb would be seen. I also just looked in My
    Computer, and it shows the hard drive with 73.7mb used and 298gb free.
    Now I don't know what the 73.7 mb are being used for. I suppose that
    is what the xxclone is referring to when it says all content will be
    deleted........? appriciate your reply.

    Mike..............Tn.

    aid, Nov 13, 2008
  5. Mike

    olfart Guest

    Hi there Ben,
    Thanks for the reply. Please excuse my replying from
    Google. I inadvertently clicked off befor answering you. See I told
    you I was old LOL. I used the Western Digital software to format and
    add driver so the full 360gb would be seen. I also just looked in My
    Computer, and it shows the hard drive with 73.7mb used and 298gb free.
    Now I don't know what the 73.7 mb are being used for. I suppose that
    is what the xxclone is referring to when it says all content will be
    deleted........? appriciate your reply.

    Mike..............Tn.

    the 73.7mb is the amount of space used when you formatted the drive. You
    should be OK

    olfart, Nov 13, 2008
  6. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Hi There Oldfart,
    Thanks for the reply, ok then i'll start the
    transfer. Thanks again. And all of you on here. You all do one heck of a
    job.

    Mike....................................Tn.

    Mike, Nov 13, 2008
  7. if you double click on "my computer" a window should appear that lists all
    of your drives. if you click on a particular drive a summary should appear
    in the left hand pane of the window to inform you of the amount of space
    used and the total space of the drive. if you don't see this information in
    the left hand pane then alternatively point to the drive you are interested
    in, click the right mouse button to make a short menu appear, and then
    regular (left) click on 'properties' 298gb (gigabyte) is a lot less than
    the 360gb (gigabyte) you said the drive was and the difference is far more
    than a mere 73.7mb (megabyte) (and i don't think you meant 73.7gb (gigabyte)
    because that would make the total space larger than the advertised size of
    the drive which should not be). something is not right here and you are
    smart to be cautious.

    Christopher Muto, Nov 13, 2008
  8. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Hi There Christopher,
    Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry I suffered a
    brain fart, it's a 320 GB hard drive. After cloning, 27.2gb used 270gb free.
    Which leaves 23gb unaccounted for. That's ok I am happy with what I was able
    to do without screwing it all up. I do appreciate all the replies form you
    all. Although I am starting to wonder what happened to the 23gb, lol. Once
    again though I have to remember I got it all together without blowing it all
    up. For me that's really good,lol. Well thank you again.

    Mike..................................Tn.

    Mike, Nov 14, 2008
  9. Mike

    Brian K Guest

    Hard drive manufactures report their HDs in Gigabytes. Windows reports HDs
    in Gibibytes

    1 Gigabyte = 10^9 bytes

    1 Gibibyte = 2^30 bytes

    320 Gigabytes = 298 Gibibytes

    Brian K, Nov 14, 2008
  10. that makes more sense and means that all is ok. the 320gb size claimed by
    the drive manufacturer is a number calculated in decimal, the number xp
    reports is calculated in binary. so a 320gb drive should be reported as
    about 298gb in xp as you have seen. if the drive was a 360gb model then
    there
    would be a problem.

    Christopher Muto, Nov 14, 2008
  11. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Hi There Brian,
    Thanks for the explanation............

    Mike..............................Tn.

    Mike, Nov 14, 2008
  12. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Hi There RnR,
    Just a short note to say thank you also for the reply.
    I guess we are never to old to learn. lol

    Mike....................................Tn.

    Mike, Nov 14, 2008
  13. with mb it is about 5%, but with gb it is more like 7%, and with tb it is
    more like 9%, and keeps increasing.
    mb: (10^6) / (2^20) = 0.95367 (binary reporting of mb about 5% smaller than
    decimal reporting)
    gb: (10^9) / (2^30) = 0.93132 (binary reporting of gb about 7% smaller than
    decimal reporting, ie 320gb decimal = 298gb binary)
    tb: (10^12) / (2^40) = 0.90949 (binary reporting of tb about 9% smaller than
    decimal reporting)
    here is a link to segates site that has simplest explaination i have seen
    written about the issue:
    http://tinyurl.com/27hkl5

    Christopher Muto, Nov 14, 2008