    to signal that the lid was closed, but neither of these newer models
    have that switch.

    Does anyone know how to disable the feature?

    Chris, Oct 11, 2006

  2. Chris

    BillW50 Guest

    The first thing I do when I get a new laptop is to go into Power Option
    Properties and click on the Advanced tab and to select "When I close the
    lid of my portable computer" I select "Do nothing". Did you try that?

    BillW50, Oct 12, 2006

  3. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Yea I tried that too. The laptop doesn't sleep or hibernate, but
    unfortunately it doesn't "do nothing" either. I'm beginning to worry
    that this is going to end up being a hardware modification. This is
    for a project and right now we're building the prototype system. Once
    complete, we will buy multiple laptops along with all of the other
    equipment.

    Maybe another brand of laptop would have the option to keep the LCD
    active while the lid was closed. This would prevent the external
    monitor from becoming the primary. Anybody know of one?

    Chris, Oct 12, 2006
  4. Chris

    BillW50 Guest

    My Gateway MX6124 acts they way. Although I wanted it to kill the lamp
    when I close the lid, but it doesn't. But the manual says it will. Hmmm.
    I too use an external LCD monitor. Although I can set it for Standby and
    Hibernation and that works. But that isn't what I want to happen when I
    close the lid. :(

    BillW50, Oct 12, 2006
  5. Chris

    dave Guest

    I have an Asus A3Ac and an external monitor and have had no problems with
    the external when closing the lid on the notebook. Out of curiosity which
    graphics adapters or chipsets are in the notebooks you're using? I know the
    Intel 915/910 chipsets should function the way you seem to desire.

    dave, Oct 12, 2006
  6. Chris

    BillW50 Guest

    I'm using IntelĀ® Graphics Media Accelerator 900. And when I close the
    lid and have it set to do nothing, that is what it does even with an
    external monitor. I also have the CMOS/Setup for an external monitor.
    This keeps the build in LCD screen dark while booting too. Although I
    don't see the post or anything on the external monitor until Windows is
    booted half way through. Same with you?

    BillW50, Oct 12, 2006
  7. Chris

    dave Guest

    If I have it set to clone mode it fires up right away...if its in extended
    it fires up after the win startup screen.

    dave, Oct 13, 2006
  8. Chris

    Chris Guest

    If your laptop is using the external monitor to extend the desktop and
    you close your laptop lid, is the desktop still extended to the
    external monitor? This is what I want to happen. I don't want to see
    the start menu or anything else that supposed to be on the primary
    display show up on the external monitor regardless of whether or not
    the lid is closed.

    On the Dell laptops I was able to achieve this, but it's not an optimal
    solution. The "lid closed" switch is actually hidden underneath the
    buttons for the touch pad. A magnet in the LCD bezel activates the
    reed switch as it approaches the touch pad area which happens as the
    lid is closed. Unfortunately, the laptop LCD stays lit up the whole
    time.

    Chris, Oct 16, 2006
  9. Chris

    dave Guest

    If your laptop is using the external monitor to extend the desktop and
    you close your laptop lid, is the desktop still extended to the
    external monitor? This is what I want to happen. I don't want to see
    the start menu or anything else that supposed to be on the primary
    display show up on the external monitor regardless of whether or not
    the lid is closed.

    Yes the external monitor keeps its settings (extended) when the lid is
    closed and if I have apps running on the extended desktop they are still
    functional.

    dave, Oct 17, 2006
  10. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Nice!! Do you know if your LCD stays lit when you close the lid?

    Chris, Oct 17, 2006
  11. Chris

    BillW50 Guest

    Mine doesn't and I wish it did. :( The manual says it is supposed too.

    BillW50, Oct 17, 2006
  12. Chris

    dave Guest

    My LCD shuts off when the lid is closed....I also have a HotKey function
    that allows me to turn it on or off while the lid is still open, when I turn
    it off the external monitor retains its settings which is pretty
    handy....all in all I'm quite pleased with the way it works HTH.

    dave, Oct 18, 2006
  13. It's possible that it appears to shut off, but that if you look very,
    very closely (possibly with a flashlight), only the backlight is
    shutting off, the image itself is still present (meaning that the actual
    LCD panel is still powered), but with no backlight the screen is still
    going to look solid black unless it is examined very, very carefully.

    Barry Watzman, Oct 18, 2006