CM6501 onboard sound problem (M2N-E SLI)

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Strutter, May 13, 2007.

  1. Strutter

    Strutter Guest

    I have just bought an ASUS M2N-E SLI (AM2) board, and am having problems
    with the onboard sound.

    Only details I know are;

    The audio codec is : CM6501 Like Sound Device
    3D audio engine is : Xear3D CRL3D EAX2.0 A3D1.0

    The problem I have is that I only get sound out of the front left speaker,
    and nothing from my other 5 speakers...

    It works ok through my headphones & mic that i connect through the front
    panel connections.

    I have all the latest drivers and software throughout my system.

    Can anyone help?

    Strutter

    Strutter, May 13, 2007

  2. Strutter

    Paul Guest

    It is a USB hosted audio solution. Which is different than most
    motherboards. And since no datasheet is available, it is not possible
    to guess what the hell they are doing. The Asus manual shows an error
    (one signal name is missing) and the header looks like standard AC'97.

    http://www.cmedia.com.tw/?q=en/USB/cm6501

    The recommendation here, is to remove the front panel wiring
    cable, and place the two factory jumpers back in place. Then
    verify whether the back jacks work or not. If they do not work,
    I would return the product to your retailer, or use the Asus
    warranty.

    http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...d_id=1&model=M2N-E+SLI&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

    There is another post here, with a ref to a driver at the bottom
    of the thread. It looks like the third one has the best chance of
    working. Note that the one listed on the Asus download page, is
    stored in the M2N-E SLI directory, whereas these audio drivers
    are stored in a CMedia directory. So you'll be playing driver
    roulette, by trying the official one in the M2N-E SLI directory
    (http://support.asus.com.tw), or the third one in the list below.

    http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...d_id=1&model=M2N-E+SLI&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

    ftp://dlsvr02.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/c-media/
    File: CMedia_6501_Audio_V51281701_32bit.zip 6087 KB
    File: CMedia_6501_Audio_V607207_Vista64bit.zip 6330 KB
    File: CMedia6501_Audio_V51281802_XP.zip 10588 KB

    Also, I just checked Cmedia.com.tw and there is hardly
    anything worth downloading. Drivers are stored on
    www.cmediadrivers.info but the interface looks pretty
    impenetrable.

    http://www.cmediadrivers.info/driver/UDA/039/UDA039_WDM.zip

    Paul

    Paul, May 13, 2007

  3. Strutter

    Paul Guest

    Paul, May 13, 2007
  4. Strutter

    Strutter Guest

    Thanks for all the info, I'll try everything you suggested and see what
    happens.

    Something big that I didn't mention, was that i'm running Vista Home
    Premium 32 bit, which i know can cause problems with audio drivers and the
    likes.

    I have had a look at the Cmedia site and after going 'round'in circles i
    gave up...why the hell do Asus even bother with them when theres plenty of
    better choices of chips to use...? The manual I have for the board
    contains little to no info about the sound at all, which is rather pathetic.
    And as for the Asus site, they aren't much better! Especially when compared
    to the Gigabyte (which i normally use) site which is easy to use and very
    well set out, with updated drivers...oh well!

    I'll try out these drivers and changing some jumpers and then i'll let
    you know how i go1

    Thanks

    Strutter, May 13, 2007
  5. Strutter

    Strutter Guest

    Just a quick msg to let you know that after I unplugged the front audio
    connector and replacing the two jumpers, my surround sound now works really
    well, but rather annoying that I can't plug my headphones and mic into the
    front of my case, but it'll do for now.
    Thanks

    Strutter, May 14, 2007
  6. Strutter

    Legolasaaa

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Use ac97 connector

    I had the same problem, and it went away when I connected the the front speakers via the 'ac97' connector from the case, instead of the 'HD audio' connector from the case. It seems using the HD audio connector, as well as using no connector and forgetting to put back the jumpers originally set over 2 of the front audio connectors pins, will cause no audio from the back ports.

    Legolasaaa, Dec 29, 2007