    [usually] mounted on the mb) last? I am finding that my Toshiba
    Sattelite laptop loses the clock and CMOS settings if it is powered down
    and unplugged more than a few weeks. Battery replacement time?

    Rich Greenberg, Apr 4, 2013

  2. Rich Greenberg

    Happy Oyster Guest

    I guess it ought to be more than 2 years.

    Happy Oyster, Apr 4, 2013

  3. Rich Greenberg

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    (Rich Greenberg) wrote in @reader1.panix.com:
    4-10 years.
    And your problem suggests that you have a chargeable battery
    of bad quality, because normally a downtime of a few minutes is
    enough to cause problems with a bad battery.
    Your few weeks suggests that the battery is charging when the
    computer is powered.
    In which case a normal battery might not like that.

    Sjouke Burry, Apr 5, 2013
  4. Rich Greenberg

    gargoyle60 Guest

    My old Windows 98 home PC still has the original battery and it continues working after 15 years!

    gargoyle60, Apr 5, 2013
  5. If a laptop is to be idle for more than a few days, it is prudent to
    remove the power supply battery: otherwise it may be configured to
    keep some functions activated, and thus deplete the battery (and
    perhaps put extra demands on the CMOS battery as well.)

    Don Phillipson, May 2, 2013
  6. Rich Greenberg

    mike Guest

    I'd argue with that.
    Any rational design would let the main battery supply all functions
    when available. No need to discharge the CMOS battery when not necessary.

    mike, May 2, 2013