cmos image sensor to usb

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by momaley79, Sep 28, 2007.

  1. momaley79

    momaley79 Guest

    Hello,
    I'm working on a personal project where I'd like to basically make m
    own webcam from scratch. I am looking for a camera in the VGA/15fp
    range. The most important factor in my design is form factor. I'd lik
    to make it as "pencil-like" as possible. For example, I basically wan
    something like this
    http://www.aurora-optical.com/modules/CM036U Preliminary 8-8-07.pd
    from Aurora Optical, but I want to be able to put the sensor on a fle
    circuit and have the processor/USB chip behind the sensor. Can anybod
    out there help point me in the right direction? I have a EE background
    but no experience with image sensors or USB. I've looked at the OV511 US
    bridge, but in general, I haven't found much documentation on a complet
    sensor-to-USB solution. Would this be a relatively straightforwar
    design? In other words, if I want my own "thin" form factor, wha
    components do I need to go from sensor-to-USB as easily as possible? Ar
    there any good resources on "howto build a webcam?" I've looked, but
    haven't found much.

    Thanks in advance!
    Mike

    momaley79, Sep 28, 2007

  2. momaley79

    larwe Guest

    this:http://www.aurora-optical.com/modules/CM036U Preliminary
    %208-8-07.pdf
    Webcams are built as essentially two-chip solutions. Both chips are
    application-specific; one is the image sensor, and the other is an
    "image processor". ST for instance makes both classes of part. The
    image processor has hardware that acquires the image sensor data,
    processes it (basically, handles the fact that it's really a
    monochrome sensor with a Bayer or similar filter on top of it), then
    compresses to JPEG data one stripe at a time. It also has the USB
    magic in it.

    It is fairly challenging to connect a raw image sensor directly to a
    general-purpose microcontroller. High-speed interfacing, precision
    timing and a lot of memory are required, because if you're doing
    everything in software you have no time to acquire-convert-compress a
    stripe at a time; you have to grab the whole raw image, process it en
    bloc, and compress it en bloc.

    larwe, Sep 28, 2007