COD + Radeon 9600 Pro - after mins gameplay display problems

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Michael, Feb 13, 2004.

  1. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Hello everybody out there,

    after a short period of time playing COD on my AMD64, mainboard
    VIA KT8, Radeon 9600 Pro under XP Prof. SP1, Catalyst 4.1 and
    first patch of COD, my display (OpenGL?) getting problems.
    Its getting "flickering" block artefacts, sometimes circles in
    weird colors and so on. You can still see the gameplay "through"
    and the menus are slighty better, but no way to play so.
    Leaving the game shows a "greasy" windows with unclear colors
    (please excuse my really bad, bad english). Only a reboot helps
    for a moment.
    I have already tried some things:
    - Reducing AGP to 4x,
    - Setting OpenGL to balanced,
    - Reinstall DX9b, Catalyst 4.1 (with reinstall tool),
    - Reducing texture quality in COD...
    - I have fast write disabled...
    .... sad but true ... nothing has helped me.

    I appreciate any help, tips and suggestions from anyone!
    Something I didn't know or not tried until now?

    Regards, Mike

    Michael, Feb 13, 2004

  2. Michael

    bandit Guest

    Install the 4.2 drivers they seem to work ok for me, if not go back to
    the 3.10's. The 4.1 drivers would lock my system up in COD

    bandit, Feb 13, 2004

  3. Michael

    Sleepy Guest

    try the 3.7s

    Sleepy, Feb 13, 2004
  4. Michael

    Adrian Kwa Guest

    there's actually a patch for COD for Radeon users.

    Adrian

    Adrian Kwa, Feb 14, 2004
  5. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Thanks bandit...

    just one hour after I wrote my problem I saw the new Catalyst
    4.2 on ati's website. I downloaded and installed it at once.
    It's a cruelty, but I see no improvement with the new drivers
    - still the same problem after a few mins... ;(

    Maybe I really have to try older drivers. Would you suggest
    the 3.10 or the older 3.7?

    Mike

    Michael, Feb 14, 2004
  6. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Hey Sleepy,

    .... would you recommend the 3.7 or 3.10 as bandit mentioned before?

    Mike

    Michael, Feb 14, 2004
  7. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Hello Adrian,

    I have seen the note about a patch in various newsgroups articles
    - but on the ati website the only thing that I found was the driver
    version 3.10 as "patch".

    Do you have better information sources where I can get this patch
    (and: Is it really a "patch" or in the meantime gathered together
    by ati in a driver version?).

    Thank You all for your tipps!

    Mike

    Michael, Feb 14, 2004
  8. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Hello,

    I hope there are some really "tough ati guys" around here...

    ;(

    The last 2 hours I have tested the catalyst versions 3.10 and
    3.7 - the problem still remains the same and it's getting under
    my skin. I can play 15 to 30 mins without problems and then
    this display problem strikes again.

    Maybe its am error or problem I catched with the first COD Patch?

    Mike

    Michael, Feb 14, 2004
  9. Michael

    Randy Guest

    Could be a heat problem. Try running the game with the side cover off if you
    feel ok opening the case and see if it will run the game ok or it could be a
    power supply problem if you just added the Radeon 9600 and the problem
    started and it didn't happen before with the other card. Just a few thoughts
    of things that have helped me before.

    Randy

    Randy, Feb 15, 2004
  10. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Hello Randy,

    thx for your suggestions - they are really "welcome"!

    I'm running my pc nearly 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and ...
    so I don't think it could be a heat problem, but I will give it
    a try and play with open side cover (if open the side cover is
    the only problem I would be happy ;) ).

    I'm also trying (separate from the above) to play with reduced
    resolution during the game (800x600) and better (!) settings
    for the game textures. This was a recommendation from ati.com
    website for such problems. We will see...

    Mike

    Michael, Feb 15, 2004
  11. Michael

    Adrian Kwa Guest

    If you have a LCD screen, try the Alternative DVI freq or something like
    that. I had "lines" on mine when in the dark... solved with the DVI freq
    thing. :p

    Adrian

    Adrian Kwa, Feb 15, 2004
  12. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Hello everyone out there,

    I think I finally found a solution!!!

    I'm using now the new catalyst drivers 4.2 and in the smoothvision
    2.1 settings for opengl I tried User Defined and set the slider more
    to performance, not quality (for texture, mipmap details and so on).
    I found this tip on a CoD website. Since that (and many games CoD
    online) I have no problems anymore and the graphics is still ok
    to me.

    Again, thx everyone for his tips and I hope these information will
    be valueable for others with maybe the same problems.

    Bye, Mike.

    Michael, Feb 19, 2004