Code 10 after vista to xp install

Discussion in 'HP' started by cpnhowdie, Oct 9, 2007.

1. cpnhowdie

cpnhowdie

my ethernet controller is giving me an error in device manager.
    device will not start (code 10)

i just got proper drivers from HP for chipset, and for the nvidia ethernet controller. everything installed fine.
    after getting error code, i followed troubleshooter, emailed hp again asking for assistance, and started a re-install of xp for a clean slate.

im installing over vista on a hp slimline s3027c.

any suggestions as to how i can get this to work?

cpnhowdie, Oct 9, 2007
  2. cpnhowdie

cpnhowdie

Email from hp gave me wlan drivers . . . ?
    told me to troubleshoot, and reinstall drivers that really dont apply to my ethernet.
    but whatever, so i try troubleshooting, again. install drivers, try and update, but it says the drivers i have in are better then the new ones. restart, nothing.
    checked bios, onboard lan enabled, os plug n play enabled, onlt thing disabled is cd boot for lan.

yea, this is turning out to gimme one hell of a headache.
    googled issue, and as of page 7, nothing useful yet.

cpnhowdie, Oct 9, 2007
  3. cpnhowdie

cpnhowdie

so hp sent me to microsoft, and microsoft sent me to hp.

all i find out is this,

If the device has a FailReasonString value in its hardware key, that string appears as the error message. The driver or enumerator puts this registry string value there. If there is no FailReasonString in the hardware key, you receive the following error message:
    This device cannot start. (Code 10)

i dont seem to be gettin any help here, so ima just keep posting untill i figure this out. hopefully it will help someone else later down the road.
    i searched microsoft.com, and found older versions of drivers, and ima reinstall os again, clean slate, and start installing the oldest drivers first, n keep updating untill i find something that works.
    i personally dont think its a driver problem though.

cpnhowdie, Oct 10, 2007
  4. cpnhowdie

cpnhowdie

HP correspondance up untill they pawned me off to microsoft . . .

[email protected] wrote:
    Hi Benjamin,
    Thank you for writng back.
    I understand from your message that the issue did not get resolve from the steps provided in our earlier

correspondence.
    Firstly, I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you in this regard.
    Benjamin, I would like to inform you that to isolate and resolve the issue, I recommend you to download the chipset

drivers by visiting the below mentioned URL:
    ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software6/COL13490/pv-37634-1/sp26611.exe

This should resolve the issue by downloading the chipset drivers. If you need further assistance, please reply to this

message and we will be happy to assist you further.
    For information on keeping your HP and Compaq products up and running, please visit our Web site at:

http://www.hp.com/go/totalcare
    Sincerely,
    Joseph
    HP Total Care

-----Original Message-----
    Date: 10/09/2007 14:26:20 EST
    To: [email protected]
    Cc:
    Subject: Re: Re: HP Pavilion Slimline s3027c Desktop PC e-m
    ran trouble shooter,
    installed drivers,
    these were not the correct drivers i believe, as it informed me that there is no better driver then the one i currently

have installed. That and I installed ethernet controllers, and not wireless lan controllers.
    attempted wiping os, reinstalling os, then reinstalling drivers, but same problem with ethernet controllers. code 10.
    Also missing drivers for
    -802.11bg wlan, assumed last sent drivers might work for that, but unfortunetly not.
    -pci simple communications controller
    -video controller (vga compatable)
    accessed bios and os plug and play enabled,
    onboard lan enabled
    lan boot disabled
    so basiclly, the ethernet drivers have been accepted, but device will not start.
    does not read connection when ethernet is plugged into port.
    i am reinstalling the OS again for a clean slate, default bios. i will install the chipset drivers originally suggested as

[email protected] wrote:
    Hello Benjamin,
    Thank you for writing back.
    At this moment I would like to inform you that if the device has a FailReasonString value in its hardware key, that

string appears as the error message. The driver orenumerator puts this registry string value there. If there is no

FailReasonStringin the hardware key, you receive the following error message:
    This device cannot start. (Code 10)
    To resolve the issue with the Device failed to start. Click Update Driver to update the drivers for this device. On the

General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the Troubleshooting Wizard. However, to at this

point to resolve the issue please reinstall the drivers from the below web link:
    === Wireless LAN drivers ===
    ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software7/COL13916/pv-39100-1/sp26679.exe

I am sure the given information is helpful to you in resolving the issue with the Wireless LAN drivers. If you need

further assistance, please reply to this message and we will be happy to assist you further.
    Thank you for your patience and time.
    Sincerely,
    Shawn

For more information, including technical informationupdates, please visit our Web site at http://www.hp.com/support.
    Date: 10/09/2007 12:07:30 EST
    To: [email protected]
    Cc:
    Subject: Re: HP Pavilion Slimline s3027c Desktop PC e-mail
    drivers accepted, but for network card, device manager reads
    Device will not start (code 10)
    any suggestions?
    [email protected] wrote:
    Dear Benjamin,
    Thank you for contacting HP Total Care.
    I understand that you wish to have ethernet controller drivers for Windows XP operating system for your HP Pavilion

s3027c computer.
    I have verified the specifications and came to know that the PC was bundled with Nvidia GeForce 6150 LE chipset.
    I request you to download the LAN drivers and chipest drivers provided below:
    ==== LAN drivers ===
    ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software7/COL16019/pv-42531-1/sp26805.exe

Also, I request you to download and installthe Chipset drivers for the PC.
    === Chipset drivers ===
    ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software7/COL16027/pv-42539-1/sp26802.exe

By downloading and install the drivers, you should be able to use the ethernet controller in the PC. If you need

further assistance, please reply to this message and we will be happy to assist you further.
    For information on keeping your HP and Compaq products up and running, please visit our Web site at:

http://www.hp.com/go/totalcare
    Sincerely,
    Patrick
    HP Total Care

Our advice is strictly limited to thequestion(s) asked and is based on the information provided to us. HP does not

assume any responsibility or liability for the advice given and shall not be liable for any direct, indirect, special,

incidental or consequential damages in connection with the use of this information. Always back up your data.
    For more information, including technical information updates, please visit our Web site at http://www.hp.com/support.
    Date: 10/08/2007 16:20:03 EST
    To: HP Support
    Cc:
    Subject: HP Pavilion Slimline s3027c Desktop PC e-mail supp
    hp e-mail support
    language_code : en
    language : English
    Country of Residence : United States
    product_line : 6J
    product_oid : 3405727
    product_name : HP Pavilion Slimline s3027c Desktop PC
    part_number : RY882AAR,RY882AA
    purchase month : 10
    purchase year : 2007
    problem area : installation and setup
    serial number : cn47150hxm
    operating system : Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Is your computer unable to work with accessory products? Please select all that apply. :
    other
    What type and brand of CD/DVD media do you use? : any
    Was the CD/DVD writer drive built into the computer when you purchased it? : yes
    Can you hear sound from the connected speakers? : yes
    Does thex display on the music center appear to be working properly? : yes
    Have you connected the music center to your TV, DVD or music system? : yes
    error message : inf for 95 or later
    problem description : need drivers for xp operating system. ethernet controllers. came with vista, installing xp.
    first name : Benjamin

cpnhowdie, Oct 10, 2007
Ask a Question