  1. Daniel P

    Daniel P Guest

    Call me cheap, but can you use a coffee filter for a case dust filter?

    Daniel P, May 11, 2004

  2. Daniel P

    tHatDudeUK Guest

    I'd recommend not doing it. I had an equally "fantastic" idea a while back.
    Use a vacuum filter, little did I know these things are inches thick and any
    airflow with those 80mm fans would be minimal.

    A coffee filter might be too thin. So long as it catches dust though it's
    doing its job.

    AFAIK there's a place that sells a pack of them in various colours. Can't
    remember where though, sorry. I hope someone can help you out.

    tHatDudeUK, May 11, 2004

  3. Daniel P

    bill Guest

    <Call me cheap, but can you use a coffee filter for a case dust filter?
    <
    <

    Would that be before or after you used it to make coffee?

    Bill

    bill, May 11, 2004
  4. Daniel P

    rstlne Guest

    I would think it's going to get block'd verry quickly and not let much (if
    any) air through.
    You cant stop 100% of the dust from getting into your system but if your
    really paranoid then you could just go to watercool'd and seal up the case
    fully from the ouside (leave 1 fan on the inside just for case circulation)

    rstlne, May 11, 2004
  5. Daniel P

    bill Guest

    <
    <<> Call me cheap, but can you use a coffee filter for a case dust filter?
    <
    <I'd recommend not doing it. I had an equally "fantastic" idea a while back.
    <Use a vacuum filter, little did I know these things are inches thick and any
    <airflow with those 80mm fans would be minimal.
    <
    <A coffee filter might be too thin. So long as it catches dust though it's
    <doing its job.
    <
    <AFAIK there's a place that sells a pack of them in various colours. Can't
    <remember where though, sorry. I hope someone can help you out.
    <
    <
    <

    Or: http://www.overclockers.com/tips1092/

    Bill

    bill, May 11, 2004
  6. Daniel P mumbled his insignificant opinion in:
    [email protected]
    It wouldnt allow much airflow, a pantyhose might work better.

    We know you wear them on daily basis, so just grab one of those ;-)

    Sune Storgaard, May 11, 2004
  7. The filter material used for in vent hot air heating
    filtering works great. Traps dust and keeps the
    bunnies out.

    Its so cheap when it gets dirty you simply throw it away.

    About a buck eighty at Walmart for eight or 10 12"X4"
    filters. Can be cut to any size with scissors and held
    anywhere with duck or double sided sticky tape.

    --
    www.Co30.com
    "Careful with that Axe Eugene."

    Mudfish\(Co30\), May 11, 2004
  8. Daniel P

    rms Guest

    rms, May 11, 2004
  9. Daniel P

    Daniel P Guest

    Thats cool. Even better than my idea.

    Daniel P, May 11, 2004
  10. Daniel P

    bluestringer Guest

    Cut one from some AC filter material available at local home improvement
    stores. Works great.

    bluestringer

    bluestringer, May 12, 2004
  11. We've built a computer baninet at work... kind of hack at best, but it does
    work well. We use airfilters as used in briggs and stratton lawn mowers...
    Part number 491588. Cheap, has a decent flow rate and will catch all of the
    typical dust and debris that would normally build up inside of your
    computer. The filter is roughly 4.5" square, about .5 thick with a pleated
    paper element doing the actual filtering.

    Registered Linux User Number 185956
    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&safe=off&group=linux
    Buy an Xbox for $149.00, run linux on it and Microsoft loses $150.00!
    9:21pm up 23 days, 42 min, 5 users, load average: 2.64, 2.90, 2.80

    Jerry McBride, May 13, 2004