    This problem happens nearly everytime (now that it is winter in the UK) but
    only occasionally in the summer. Any ideas on this please ?

    Thanks in advance.

    ?uzzled, Jan 24, 2005

  2. Weird, sounds like an intermittent contact or a dry joint somewhere that
    sorts itself out once the circuits warm up a bit.

    You need to run a process of elimination to see if you can isolate it. Swap
    from SATA1 to SATA2, try and borrow another Serillel, connect the drive
    directly to a parallel ATA port, etc. etc. etc. Sooner or later you should
    work out where the problem lies.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Jan 24, 2005

  3. ?uzzled

    ?uzzled Guest

    When it first happened, I thought the SATA cable had come loose. I pulled it
    out and did try it on SATA2 for a while but got the same result. I then put
    it back to SATA1.

    Unfortunately, I don't know anybody else with a serillel adapter.

    I did originally try the 160Gb Hitachi 7K250 on the primary IDE channel as a
    master drive and it didn't have a problem. I moved it to SATA1 so I could
    free up the IDE connectors for 2 additional drives, and I thought it would
    be faster to have my main drive on its own channel.

    When the computer boots up, it works flawlessly. It's just bothersome to
    have to turn it on and then off again just to use it.

    Thanks

    ?uzzled, Jan 25, 2005
  4. ?uzzled

    Bob Troll Guest

    Why not try the 2.7 bios for that thing and set the bios to boot from the
    sata controller in the boot order, not HD0 etc. The sata part of the bios is
    only one of many fixes for our beloved board since version 2.3.

    Bob "hopelessly insane machine warrior" Troll

    PS: This link will most likely break so copy and paste it if you can.

    http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/down...LE_ON_SCREEN=NF7-S+V2.0&pSOCKET_TYPE=Socket+A

    Bob Troll, Jan 29, 2005
  5. ?uzzled

    ?uzzled Guest

    Thanks. I hadn't realised there was a newer BIOS update that had updates to
    the SATA controller also. I'll give it a go.

    ?uzzled, Jan 30, 2005