Color stripes + distortion (ATI's AIW 9800Pro 128)

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Yuri @ Work, Jan 26, 2004.

  1. Yuri @ Work

    Yuri @ Work Guest

    Hey there,

    Under different conditions - not necessarily after resolution
    changes or long hours - my screen turns to a vertical mess of color
    stripes, distorting the desktop and forcing me to reboot. It happens a
    lot during games, but have also happened during a simple browsing
    session.

    I haven't found the same problem on the Net, only similar
    descriptions - so I'm posting this to get any hints. My guesses are:

    1) overheating (almost discarded)
    2) video card bios
    3) catalyst bug
    4) hardware problem in the video card

    I've got an ATI AIW 9800 Pro 128 MB, newest driver version on my
    WindowsXP box, SP1 and DirectX 9.0b installed.

    Peace,

    -- Yuri

    Yuri @ Work, Jan 26, 2004

  2. Yuri @ Work

    Yuri @ Work Guest

    Forgot to tell y'all: it never happened until last week. First
    time in 6 months of 9800 use (strange)

    Yuri @ Work, Jan 26, 2004

  3. Yuri @ Work

    Andrew Guest

    usage. HAVE you been using MMC... ARE you switching in/out or full screen
    in the MMC? THIS has a 5+MB memory 'leak' that occurs every time you
    switch. Tell more...

    Andrew

    Andrew, Jan 27, 2004
  4. Yuri @ Work

    Yuri @ Work Guest

    No MMC use at all. The screen goes nuts in different resolutions.
    I've also tried restoring the previous Catalyst version, but no use.

    Yuri @ Work, Jan 28, 2004